Solved

LiDAR (LAS) extents - HullAccumulator and HullReplacer does not work

• 30 August 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi,

I need to extract the extents of LiDAR point cloud data.

The HullAccumulator not the HullReplacer does not seem to export the extents. Instead it outputs a bounding box, which is not what I need.

Please see image below:

Please see the example simple workbench with sample data attached.

Please can you help what I am doing wrong?

Your help much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Magda

icon

Best answer by takashi 30 August 2017, 17:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @wilczekmj,

If you want to extract information BoundingBox in Lidar, i suggest the transformer PointCloudPropertyExtractor.

Thanks

Danilo

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @wilczekmj, I was able to reproduce the same symptom. I think the HullReplacer should generate true convex hull rather than bounding box. Hope someone from Safe will investigate this issue. @NatalieAtSafe

As an interim workaround, you can transform the point cloud into a Single Multipoint geometry with the PointCloudCoercer (Output Geometry: Single Multipoint), then use the HullReplacer to generate the convex hull.

Badge

Hi @wilczekmj, I was able to reproduce the same symptom. I think the HullReplacer should generate true convex hull rather than bounding box. Hope someone from Safe will investigate this issue. @NatalieAtSafe

As an interim workaround, you can transform the point cloud into a Single Multipoint geometry with the PointCloudCoercer (Output Geometry: Single Multipoint), then use the HullReplacer to generate the convex hull.

Many thanks Takashi.

Looking forward to hear from Safe.

Badge

Hi @wilczekmj,

If you want to extract information BoundingBox in Lidar, i suggest the transformer PointCloudPropertyExtractor.

Thanks

Danilo

Hi Danilo.

Thank you, but I do not want to extract the BoundingBox (B on my image) - this works fine, I need a Hull (which is A on my image).

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @wilczekmj - that appears to be a known issue. For your reference it is filed as PR#66381 and I have added a link to this thread and increased the priority.

For now the only workaround is the PointCloudCoercer as @takashi suggests.

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing.