Solved

Analyzing water network connectivity

Badge

Hi! I'm desperately trying to find a way to identify the impact of disabling a specific network on the surrounding networks. So far by using the NetworkTopologyCalculator, I've been able to isolate all my water networks, separated by water valves. But here is an example of what I'm trying to do:

If I have to replace the water pipe on the network A, I will close the water valves to isolate it. The impact would logically be that there would be no water reaching networks B-C-D-E. Is there any way for me to dynamically identify this in FME?

Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by LizAtSafe 5 January 2023, 21:25

View original

15 replies

Badge +22

Interesting. I would try something with the ShortestPathFinder with the A segment either removed from the network or setting the Forward Cost Attribute, looking for outputs from NoPath.

Badge

Thanks for your quick reply jdh! I've also chatted with Matt at Safe... He suggested to also take a look at my water network as a whole instead of multiple networks like this. As per him, the NetworkFlowOrientor would also be another potential solution to consider.

Based on this, I'll investigate further and if I can come up with a solution, I'll post it here! Thanks again!

Hi! I try to isolate all my water networks between defined points (water valves) but i Don't understand how to do this first step. I have a topologycal network with start and end nodes ; i would like to extract all the lines between my water valves;

any ideas ?

Thanks

Badge +2

@amodeo You can use the Clipper and the NetworkTopologyBuilder (plus a few supporting transformers) to find the pipes that connect pairs of valves. In the attached workspace, the pipes are clipped at the valves to create small, isolated networks.workspaceI've also attached the example workspace and sample data (courtesy of City of Vancouver Open Data Catalog)

Example workspace (2019.0): Valve_Trace.fmwt

(Sorry, I had previously created this workspace in FME 2019 betas. You can download a beta from safe.com/beta)

Thanks for your quick reply jdh! I've also chatted with Matt at Safe... He suggested to also take a look at my water network as a whole instead of multiple networks like this. As per him, the NetworkFlowOrientor would also be another potential solution to consider.

Based on this, I'll investigate further and if I can come up with a solution, I'll post it here! Thanks again!

@fme4ever​ Hey did you find any solution on this. Pls revert back thanks

@amodeo You can use the Clipper and the NetworkTopologyBuilder (plus a few supporting transformers) to find the pipes that connect pairs of valves. In the attached workspace, the pipes are clipped at the valves to create small, isolated networks.workspaceI've also attached the example workspace and sample data (courtesy of City of Vancouver Open Data Catalog)

Example workspace (2019.0): Valve_Trace.fmwt

(Sorry, I had previously created this workspace in FME 2019 betas. You can download a beta from safe.com/beta)

can you pls share it with me

Userlevel 2
Badge +14

Hi @ladisrikanta123​ 

I've fixed the broken workspace link in Mark's answer, but I also attached the workspace to this comment for easy reference.

@lizatsafe​ Thank you so much 😀

Badge

Great work @lizatsafe​, thanks for the follow-up!

@fme4ever​ Hello, have you found any solution on this. Pls let me know 😀

Badge +2

@ladisrikanta123​ does the example workspace that Liz attached not help?

Badge

@ladisrikanta123​,  it depends which problem you're referring to? Mark's original workflow (recently updated by Liz) does the trick if you need to isolate all your networks between each water valve.

But if you refer to the question I initially asked several years ago, I remember that I managed to solve my problem using loops within custom transformer.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to this workflow, but I suggest you first check out this link if you need info regarding recursivity.

Don't hesitate if you have any further questions about this, I'll do my best to help you. Cheers!

actually i wanted to know which sub-network will be affected if i stop the flow at a valve

@ladisrikanta123​,  it depends which problem you're referring to? Mark's original workflow (recently updated by Liz) does the trick if you need to isolate all your networks between each water valve.

But if you refer to the question I initially asked several years ago, I remember that I managed to solve my problem using loops within custom transformer.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to this workflow, but I suggest you first check out this link if you need info regarding recursivity.

Don't hesitate if you have any further questions about this, I'll do my best to help you. Cheers!

@fme4ever​ Thank you so much for putting so much effort on replying to this. Sure i will ask if i stuck

@fme4ever​ Hey can you just tell me which transformer you used if you remember. See i want the exact same thing that you asked year back that if i stop water flow at a valve which network will be affected by that.