Solved

get FME server user information from REST end point?

Badge

Hello, a newbie to FME server. Hope I can get some help here. Here are questions.

1. Where is the Security (users, groups, etc) info stored in the FME server directory?

2. Is it possible to get this info from the REST endpoint?

Thanks for your help,

icon

Best answer by mark_f 10 April 2016, 22:52

View original

11 replies

Badge +2

Admin guide here:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/Content/AdminGuide/Securing_FME_Server.htm

Have a look at the Security section under API

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_REST/v2/apidoc/index.html#

Badge

Mark, thanks for your quick response. Fantastic! I was able to retrieve account and role info from the links you provided. Thanks for your help. Alex

Userlevel 4

Just to supplement Mark's excellent reply: the security information isn't stored in the FME Server repository, but in the "fmeserver" database instance (Postgresql by default) notably in the tables fme_useraccount, fme_role, etc.

The REST API is definitely the best way to access it, however.

David

Badge

Just to supplement Mark's excellent reply: the security information isn't stored in the FME Server repository, but in the "fmeserver" database instance (Postgresql by default) notably in the tables fme_useraccount, fme_role, etc.

David

Thank David for the info. You are right. I couldn't find the security information from the server repository. I have installed a trial version of FME server, but didn't see a Postgresql instance is running. any ideas why?

Badge

Just want to extend my original question. how can I get custom info such as user activities (username, role type, no. of jobs run, etc)?

Userlevel 4

Thank David for the info. You are right. I couldn't find the security information from the server repository. I have installed a trial version of FME server, but didn't see a Postgresql instance is running. any ideas why?

Look at the service called "FME Server Database", it is actually Postgresql in disguise, running on port 7082. You can connect e.g. using PgAdmin.

Both username and password = "fmeserver".

Be aware that unless you re-configure the instance you can only connect over localhost.

Badge

David

Thanks David. This is very useful info. I was able to connect to the instance and see how the info gets stored at behind. Good to know. Appreciate your response.

Badge +3

hi,

is it possible to connect to fmecloud in this way (username=fmeserver?)

Userlevel 4

I believe it's possible, but I really wouldn't recommend it at all.

Badge +3

ok, but how would you get  account and role info from fmecloud in a secure way?

Userlevel 4

Thank David for the info. You are right. I couldn't find the security information from the server repository. I have installed a trial version of FME server, but didn't see a Postgresql instance is running. any ideas why?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve...?

If you need a list of all the users and their roles, you should use the REST API:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_REST/apidoc/v3/index.html

See e.g. the method 

GET /security/accounts

It will return a list of all the users and their associated roles, etc.