Question

Using attribute from a different element

• 24 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

I have two source of data, one is introducing an ID code, the second one is a point cloud.

After some processing on the point cloud data, I want to use the ID code (coded as a number) as an attribute to offset the point cloud in z. (I actually want to offset z using both the ID code and the Min value of the point cloud). The 'Aggregator ' is messing the point cloud. I also tried featutre merger with zero success.

Digging into this issue, i found myself unable to do any attribute

I don't find the way to add, merge or replace attributes of the point cloud (or a TIN based on a point cloud) with attributes imported from another data source.

Thank you for your help!

Jorge

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @jgarciafdez111,

If 'ID code' is a single value that's read in, you could use the VariableSetter transformer to set the value of 'ID code' as a global variable. Then use the VariableRetriever to add the attribute to your point cloud data.

Badge +1

Hi @Milo89, Thank you very much! I had tried the variableSetter+VariableRetrieved before with no result. I was setting the retriever with a different name , but your settings, enlightened me ! :) :) :) :)

Badge +1

Hi Folks, I am quite sure this worked on FME 2017, but isn't working on 2019.

I am not able to retrieve the variable previously set by variable setter. I use global scope in both setter and retriever but FME is saying they are not linked (I am attaching the message I am getting from FME).

Do you have any idea what I am missing here? Thank you very much!

Badge +2

Hi Folks, I am quite sure this worked on FME 2017, but isn't working on 2019.

I am not able to retrieve the variable previously set by variable setter. I use global scope in both setter and retriever but FME is saying they are not linked (I am attaching the message I am getting from FME).

Do you have any idea what I am missing here? Thank you very much!

Hi @jgarciafdez111,

I suspect this is because you are performing a partial Run, e.g. Feature Caching is turned on and you select the VariableRetriever 'Run To/From this'. However the Variable Retriever requires the value to be set during that specific run, for it to be correctly referenced, so you will need to Run the Entire workspace in order for the value to be correctly populated.

You will not have encountered this in FME 2017 because the ability to perform partial runs using feature caching was not yet supported so the only option was to run the entire workspace.

Badge +1

Hi @jgarciafdez111,

I suspect this is because you are performing a partial Run, e.g. Feature Caching is turned on and you select the VariableRetriever 'Run To/From this'. However the Variable Retriever requires the value to be set during that specific run, for it to be correctly referenced, so you will need to Run the Entire workspace in order for the value to be correctly populated.

You will not have encountered this in FME 2017 because the ability to perform partial runs using feature caching was not yet supported so the only option was to run the entire workspace.

Dear @hollyatsafe,

Yes, that was the reason, I recently switched to a more FME versoin (2019) and that was not happening before.

Super thank you!!!!!

J