Question

can we use mapnik_fme.dll available inside fme folder to create a python script to generate legends ?

• 16 August 2017
  • 1 reply

I am using mapnikrasteriser to generate a raster image from a map. However I also want a legend for the same associated with it. As mapnikrasteriser doesn't have a inbuilt legend capacity, I was thinking of using a python script (using mapnik dll) to generate the same.

Can anyone guide me on this ?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @arvr1991,

in general, it is not a good idea to call anything_fme.dll directly because it may not work at all, may work differently between releases, and because we cannot guarantee anything would work as expected or specified somewhere else. So we do not recommend this.

In this case, we don't even know whether mapnik_dll would work at all - we never tried it.I probably would simply sample all the features and place them somewhere on a side so that they get rasterized with the map contents. Or, there can be a separate MapnikRasterizer with the same settings making a raster legend, which then can be mosaicked with the map or used separately. I understand that might be more work than making python calls, but there is also some extra flexibility with that.Dmitri