Question

WorkspaceRunner and Logging

• 7 March 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +5
  • Contributor
  • 25 replies
I have a workbench that calls 5 other workbenches (using WorkspaceRunner).  What I want to do is gather all the log files that are created after the workbenches have run and create one log that contains all info.  Ideally I want to a report of features read, written, errors, and warnings.  Not sure how to tackle this one - any thoughts on where to start?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Jon,

By default, as you know, log file will be saved in the same location and the same name as the workspace. But you can specify log file path through a published parameter, if you created it in the workspace.

So, one possible solution I can think of is:

1) Create log file path parameter in each workspace.

2) Run the workspaces with specifying log file path (full path) through the WorkspaceRunner.

3) After running, since you know all the log file paths, you can read them, (extract required contents if necessary), and write them into a file. Concretely, create another workspace to read a log and append it into a text file, and then call it through a WorkspaceRunner.

To do that, you should specify "Yes" to "Wait for Job to Complete" parameter of every WorkspaceRunner.

Takashi
Userlevel 4
Hi,

Here's a tip if you execute FME through a batch file: you do not have to publish the log filename as a parameter, it is always available through the "LOG_FILENAME", see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_QuickTranslator/Default.htm#FME Configuration/LOG_FILENAME.htm

There is also the parameter LOG_APPEND that controls whether to append to or overwrite an existing log file.

Example:

fme myworkspace.fmw LOG_FILENAME d:\\myfmelogs\\test.log LOG_APPEND YES

This does not seem to be directly supported by the WorkspaceRunner, unfortunately...

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
@David, thanks for the tips. I didn't know LOG_APPEND parameter. I've filed it to my memorandum :)

It might be convenient in some scenarios if "Log Append" was one of Workspace Parameters.
Badge +5
I've added my workbench into an ETL tool in ArcToolbox and now the Log File parameter is no longer available for some reason.  From what I researched, the files are now saved here:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\<user>\\Application Data\\ESRI\\Interoperability\\logs

Is there a way to change this default location in a ETL workbench?