Question

Create a smooth 3d surface from a pointcloud?

• 4 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi, I wish to model railway and road surfaces by draping 2d polygons of their extents over a 3d point cloud and then make the surface completely smooth in order to generate straight contours. The first part is no problem, I have created a workbench that drapes the polygons, but I'm struggling to think of a way to achieve making the surface smooth?

The railway surface will be completely flat only sloping up and down length-ways but the roads will likely be at a slight angle. I'm thinking that there isn't a surface transformer that can accomplish this? And perhaps the best way would be to treat the 3d points that are within the polygons somehow?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @boo,

I can't think of a way to smooth the surface, but FME does have tools that can smooth the resulting contours. Please have a look at the SherbendGeneralizer transformer, which is designed specifically for contour smoothing.

Hi @boo,

I can't think of a way to smooth the surface, but FME does have tools that can smooth the resulting contours. Please have a look at the SherbendGeneralizer transformer, which is designed specifically for contour smoothing.

Cheers Dave, that looks like a useful transformer and potentially a good workaround for the end result. Though I do need a working endpoint at points and breaklines really.