Question

Opening viewable WMS

• 6 August 2015
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I'm a pretty novice user of FME. I am trying to open a WMS document in FME which opens fine in QGIS. There are three seperate layers within the WMS and within each layer there are a number of different features with attributes attached to them.

FME recognises the layers so it is connecting to the WMS but I cannot see the different features within these layers. When I open the WMS in Inspector all I get is a white raster square with no features. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

1 reply

Badge +14

These issues can be tricky to debug. If I were looking at it I'd focus on two things:

1) The style of the features. Are they defined with a visible style by the service serving up the WMS? If they are white with a dashed grey border for example you'll have a hard time spotting them on the white background. Swapping the colour of the Inspector background to something other than white is possible with a right click on the canvas, so this may help.

2) The projection of the WMS layers. Confirm they have a projection defined and check that you are a) Not trying to add the service to a window with a background map turned on, otherwise FME may be trying and potentially failing to do an on-the-fly reprojection, b) Not trying to add your WMS layer to a window that already contains data in another projection.

One of these two issues are quite often the culprit, so they are at least a starting point...

Good luck.