Question

ArcSDEQuerier vs SDEReader vs FeatureReader

• 14 May 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +11

I need to read Oracle/MSSQL SDE, I'm wondering what's fast if I need to read Geometry and Attributes (ArcSDEQuerier vs SDE Reader vs FeatureReader)?

Or is this not about speed and how Reader vs Transformer is used in a workspace that I'm understanding?

1 reply

Userlevel 4

I suspect it will vary somewhat depending on your specific use case. I would recommend that you do some testing on your end to see if there are any clear differences. I would expect a regular reader and the FeatureReader transformer to have the exact same performance, given the same configuration, however.

If performance is very important to you, consider doing as much heavy lifting as possible in the database before reading the data into FME. This can e.g. mean creating spatial views joining several tables rather than using FeatureMergers etc. This can have a huge impact on performance. Of course, also see if you can use where-clauses rather than Testers etc.

In my experience the SDE30 reader/writer is much faster than the ArcObjects one (GEODATABASE_SDE), however it's been deprecated by Esri so I would not recommend using it in production.