Question

Geographic Offsetter

• 1 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hi, I have file with starting point in GCS (longitude and latitude values) and all next points are defined as offsets in meters using using Cartesian coordinate system. From those points then I need to build a line(this part is not a problem).

I found Offsetter but is seems like it accept GCS only(or whatever Coordinate System the feature is in). What I'm looking is something like Offsetter but with Geographic features (like GeographicBufferer) where you can specify X,Y in meters/miles.

Please advice.

Regards, Yarko

3 replies

Badge +22

My recommendation is to use the CommonLocalReprojector, Offsetter (in meters), LineBuilder, then reproject back to the original coordinate system.

Badge +3

My recommendation is to use the CommonLocalReprojector, Offsetter (in meters), LineBuilder, then reproject back to the original coordinate system.

After more testings I realized that this doesn't work for me

What I really looking for is something that can shift my point in GCS to given distance in ground meters along x and y.

Any suggestions?

Badge +10

I think it is very important to realize that ground units cannot be converted to latitude or longitude values directly. You need to know where on planet Earth you are when you want to make the conversion from meters to decimal degrees (or the other way around).

So you'll need to know in which projected coordinate system the offset needs to take place. From that point forward I think I would convert my geometry to that coordinate system, do the offset and convert back to LL-values.

You could also use the solution as proposed by @jdh or you could create the lines representing the offset and reproject those lines, calculate the length (or X/Y difference) and use those values in the Offsetter-transformer.