Question

Detecting changes in attribute values for multiple feature classes.

• 18 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I have got multiple featureclasses within a database, which I need to compare with the same database in the future. The featureclasses all have a GlobalID (unique value), which is the same as the GlobalID in the other database. I need to detect any changes to geometry and attribute values and write these away in preferably a new featureclass, an Excel list will also do.

The "Changes" list or table should include the GlobalID of the feature, the "before" value and the "after" value. The geometry I have found is not an issue as I can use the "Change detector". However I seem to struggle with the change in attribute value, I have gone over several posts but none with a (working) answer (some links do not work anymore).

I am rather new to FME myself and do not have a lot of python knowledge, I am working with FME Desktop 2018.1 and the ArcMap the features come from/go back into is ArcMap version 10.3.1.

Any help or guidelines would be much appreciated!

3 replies

Badge +2

@remkohj FME 2019 has a revised ChangeDetector that combines the functionality of both the ChangeDetector (FME 2018 or earlier) and the UpdateDetector (HUB transformer). In addition, it you have a update key attribute (such as your GlobalID) the newer ChangeDetector will return a list of the changes.

I've attached a small example (2019): changedetector2019.fmwt

@remkohj FME 2019 has a revised ChangeDetector that combines the functionality of both the ChangeDetector (FME 2018 or earlier) and the UpdateDetector (HUB transformer). In addition, it you have a update key attribute (such as your GlobalID) the newer ChangeDetector will return a list of the changes.

I've attached a small example (2019): changedetector2019.fmwt

@markatsafe Sorry for my late reaction and thanks for your information. I work in a government environment and sadly updating to new versions takes a lot of time, and the tool is needed before we can update FME next. Is there a way to possibly do it in the 2018 version of FME?

Badge +2

@markatsafe Sorry for my late reaction and thanks for your information. I work in a government environment and sadly updating to new versions takes a lot of time, and the tool is needed before we can update FME next. Is there a way to possibly do it in the 2018 version of FME?

@remkohj Matcher does allow you to create a list of the matched pairs. So you could match all features based on "id". But you would then have to put together some python to compare the lists.

If you are using a versioned ArcSDE geodatabase as your source - FME has the capability of returning the differences.