Question

Autocad - Zoom to Data Extent when opening DWG

• 22 June 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi all   I am using FME to convert a ESRI File GDB containing building polygons to AutoCAD DWG. Really simple styling and the resulting file looks fine except for one thing - when opening the DWG it opens at THE SAME location as the template file. The template file is overidding the new data. This is not great if I have data in say Manchester and the template file is in London.   This is a process I need to batch repeat for multiple locations are the UK - but the resulting DWG will always startup in the London location despite there being no data there. I have not had this problem before with a similar task.   (1) Is there a format setting I can utilise to tell the DWG to zoom to data extent on startup?   (2) The only styling information I am taking from the Template file is "Visual style - Realistic with no isolines" (creating 3D Polygons) is it possible to set this in FME without the need for a template file.   This is a really simple issue that I can't seem to fix and I'm pulling my hair out!!! Has there maybe been a change in the latest version of autocad? (2015?) I have tried saving the template file as version 2010 but this then causes the DWG to open extreemly far from anywhere.   Any Help much appreciated!!!!   Mike

4 replies

Badge

@mike_gale have you solved the problem already? I am having exactly the same issue now. Hope you can help.

Badge +10

This question has been asked before multiple times. This one contains the best answer from @DaveAtSafe: it is not supported yet

Badge +16

You can always create the dwg format attributes yourself. just have a look at the documentation of the DWGStyler to know which autodesk attributes to set in your workspace.

Mind you it can get messy if your are writing to multiple layers.

Have you tried creating a simple template with no features in it but only styling onformation?

Badge +3

@mike_gale

You could write a small lisp routine and save it in your "My_Personal_support"

Add the path to AutoCAD paths.

This way you can have it auto load/run when you open a ACAD file.

It is also possible to have the configuration file with a variable called WD_OPEN_DWG run the command to zoom '(command "_.ZOOM" "_E")' in the 2016 variant. (I have not checked whether it is still the same, I assume so though)