Question

Is it possible to connect to SQL Server database over SSH using FME

• 22 December 2017
  • 6 replies

I need to connect to SQL Server database hosted on Azure cloud. It is currently blocked within LAN network and we are looking at option to connect to database over SSH or HTTPS. Is it possible to connect to SQL Server database over SSH using FME?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

From what I've read, yes, but you need to create an SSH tunnel. This page seems to be a good explanation. Also note we do have a format specific for connecting to Azure (Microsoft Azure SQL Database Spatial (JDBC)) which may work better.

From what I've read, yes, but you need to create an SSH tunnel. This page seems to be a good explanation. Also note we do have a format specific for connecting to Azure (Microsoft Azure SQL Database Spatial (JDBC)) which may work better.

Thanks Mark. Outside of FME, I can connect to Azure SQL Database over SSH channel. However using FME, can I connect Azure SQL Database over SSH channel? Any article how to do it in FME. Currently the Azure SQL Database reader and writer in FME does not allow me to use the SSH tunnel.

Thanks Mark. Outside of FME, I can connect to Azure SQL Database over SSH channel. However using FME, can I connect Azure SQL Database over SSH channel? Any article how to do it in FME. Currently the Azure SQL Database reader and writer in FME does not allow me to use the SSH tunnel.

Do you have a solution to this problem? I'm trying to do the same thing for an RDS

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Do you have a solution to this problem? I'm trying to do the same thing for an RDS

I can only say that it should work OK, although if you are trying to do this through FME Server or FME Cloud, there may be additional setup.

My advice here is to post this as a new question, otherwise not many people will see it. Include as much information as possible such as the database type, your FME platform (Desktop or Server), your FME Version/build number, and what problem occurs (is it an error message, does it hang, or ...?)

If it's a crash or bad error message, I would suggest you contact the Safe support team directly (safe.com/support) as users on this site are unlikely to be able to help fix crashes.

Hope this helps.

Badge +8

Hi, I managed to get this working in a VM environment using a Cloud provided Postgis database. Please contact me if still in need.

Badge +1

Hi,

In the same topic, this idea talk about ssh connexion for database : https://community.safe.com/s/bridea/a0rDm000000D9J0IAK/write-to-remote-mysql-database-through-ssh

I've added a comment to include all kind of database, not just MySQL.

You can vote for this idea if you want.