Question

Environment Agency - Surface Water Data downloaded in Mapinfo format

I have downloaded the SWF data from EA which consists of 1in30years, 1in100years and 1in1000years, all as polygon layers.

What I want to do is :

a) substract 1in30 from 1in100

b) subtract 1in100 from1in1000

resulting in 3 layers which do not overlap each other and are usable within QGIS as planning constraints.

I have tried clipping to 1:10K OS tiles before clipping as above but the workspace takes hours to run in 2017.1 - any suggestions on how to improve run times?

3 replies

Badge +10

Hi @sarahcoathup,

I would suggest using the AreaOnAreaOverlayer, followed by a Tester.

In the Tester, you would test for _overlaps = 1 AND fme_feature_type = the name of the feature type layer you are wanting to keep the geometry for (so likely the name of either the 1in100 or 1in1000 layer). You'll need to expose fme_feature_type on the Reader Feature Types.

I've attached a template workspace with a similar example where you are removing Park polygons from Zone polygons.

- Andrea

mitab-areaonarea.fmwt

Hi @AndreaAtSafe,

Thanks, I got an error saying that AreaOnAreaOverLayer (version 7) was not on my system but I understand the principle so will give it go; it certainly looks like a viable alternative to clipper.

Many Thanks, Sarah

Badge +10

Hi @AndreaAtSafe,

Thanks, I got an error saying that AreaOnAreaOverLayer (version 7) was not on my system but I understand the principle so will give it go; it certainly looks like a viable alternative to clipper.

Many Thanks, Sarah

Sorry you got that error, I created the workspace with FME 2018.0 which has AreaOnAreaOverlayer (version 7). So if you are using an older version of FME the transformer will be an older version.

But like you said, the principles should still apply. Hopefully it works better for you!

- Andrea