Question

(ERROR) - FMEObjects.CreateSession

• 31 October 2013
  • 4 replies

Need some help.

We are trying to convert an export tool originally developed in VB6 to VB.NET.  Our current version of FME is Desktop 2010 (Build 6210).  We are developing in Visual Studio 2008 with the .NET Framework set to v2.0. in which we have a reference to the FMEObjectsDotNet.dll object library.  All object library references resolve and the code compiles cleanly.  The target CPU is x86.  However the following code produces the error shown below.

Imports Safe.FMEObjects

Dim FMESession as Safe.FMEObjects.IFMEOSession

FMESession = FMEObjects.CreateSession()

And here's the error:

Safe.FMEObjects.FMEOException: Exception of type 'Safe.FMEObjects.FMEOException' was thrown. at Safe.FMEObjects.FMEObjects.CreateSession()

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

is that all the text given by the exception? Not much to work on, I agree.

Perhaps try to reproduce the problem in a blank project to isolate the cause. You can follow the tuturial in the <FME>\\fmeobjects\\doc\\fmeobjects_tutorial\\

It is for C#.NET but it should be very easy to adapt for VB.NET.

If you're able to reproduce the problem in a blank project, I'd first try and re-install FME and its APIs on the development machine. If that doesn't work, try contacting Safe support.

David
CreateSession() does work in a standalone VB.NET application (.NET Framework v3.5).  The error occurs when we execute the code within an ArcGIS v9.3.1 SP2 (ArcMap) MxCommand component.  We also have ArcFM Solution v9.3.1 SP1 installed.  Any knowledge of library conflicts with ArcGIS Desktop and/or ArcFM Solution Desktop?
We may have discovered our problem.  The "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ArcGIS\\bin" folder on the ArcMap client machine contains a file called "fme.dll" which seems to be in conflict with Safe Software's FME.files.  Renaming the "fme.dll" file seems to have solved our immediate problem.  I'll follow up with a report after additional testing. 
Userlevel 4
Hi,

good to hear that you found a solution, these types of problems can be hard to debug in a forum. Thanks a lot for sharing the details about how you resolved it.

David