Solved

How to convert vector data into an MBTILES pyramid ?

• 2 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi,

We've just recently begun to adopt the MBTiles format for offline map viewing.

What I expect is a TMS setup, with every tile level at its optimal resolution, i.e. w/o undue pixellation.

I've made some test, but it seems that the MBTiler writer only accepts a raster image, i.e. an already fixed resolution. This results in a pixellated lowest (or highest?) level.

How do I create an MBTiles dataset from my vector map data, with full resolution on all levels ?

The WebMapTiler also expects raster input, so that's not immidiatedly an option.

Any insights are appriciated. Using 2018.1.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 7 August 2018, 02:26

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi -- I do know that at this point our MBTiles support is only raster based. We are planning in FME 2019 to add vector support, which will result in the creation of tiles at various zoom levels. This work is already partially done but not yet part of the FME 2019 beta stream.

I *thought* that our raster support also created raster pyramids, but that might just be in Geopackage (I do know its raster support does that). I'll ask those in the know to weigh in.

Would using a 2019 beta work for you?

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi -- I do know that at this point our MBTiles support is only raster based. We are planning in FME 2019 to add vector support, which will result in the creation of tiles at various zoom levels. This work is already partially done but not yet part of the FME 2019 beta stream.

I *thought* that our raster support also created raster pyramids, but that might just be in Geopackage (I do know its raster support does that). I'll ask those in the know to weigh in.

Would using a 2019 beta work for you?

Thanks Dale.

Yes, I'll keep an eye out for the 2019 beta. When do you plan to include the vector-to-mbtiles feature in the beta ?

I did make some headway on the existing 2018 in the meantime.

It seems one needs to make a huge raster image, which will then form the base level of the image pyramid. The writer will then add the levels above by decreasing the raster resolution as needed.

I tried to add multiple rasters in differing resolutions, but that only made the writer make multiple mbtiles files.

Badge +2
Thanks Dale.

Yes, I'll keep an eye out for the 2019 beta. When do you plan to include the vector-to-mbtiles feature in the beta ?

I did make some headway on the existing 2018 in the meantime.

It seems one needs to make a huge raster image, which will then form the base level of the image pyramid. The writer will then add the levels above by decreasing the raster resolution as needed.

I tried to add multiple rasters in differing resolutions, but that only made the writer make multiple mbtiles files.

Hi @lifalin2016, I'm glad you made some headway with this workflow.

Currently, we are not able to confidently predict when the vector-to-mbtiles will be ready. We do strive to included it in 2019. Here is an Idea that will be updated, when this new enhancement is ready.

As for allowing multiple images to be written to one output file, this is also on our radar as an enhancement. The timeline for this enhancement will be depended on how many users desire this feature. Use cases like yours will help fuel our developement motivation.

It would really help us out, if you could post this suggestion as a new idea, and let us know:

• how you'd like to use this new feature,
  • and why is it important to your workflow.
This way other FME users can add their vote to your idea, and also add to our developement motivation. Understanding your vision on how you want to use the new feature, also help us make sure the feature we develop will meet your requirements.

Thank you very much for your suggestion and input! Cheers,

Xiaomeng