Solved

Add attributes to master dataset?

Badge +3

Hello,

Not sure if I have phrased the question correctly, but this is what I need to do:

I'm processing signal data from text files. The data has attributes on each of the 7 rows, then the actual signal values in rows underneath. I'm using a VariableSetter and VariableRetriever successfully to process the data as each file has a different meter id or signal date.

I now need to process the data into 15 minutes intervals which I have done. However, these 15 minutes intervals (96 in one day) need to be aligned to a master table to fill in the blank rows where no signal data was received for the missing 15 minute intervals.

I can use a FeatureMerger / FeatureJoiner to join my two datasets by the 15 minute datetime, but this doesn't transpose the actual meter data (meter id, other ids, date of data) into the empty fields, and I need to do this to build the 96 interval profile for each text file.

Any ideas how I can fill in these missing values when I join the tables together? Apologies if this doesn't make sense!

icon

Best answer by takashi 15 May 2019, 17:25

View original

12 replies

Badge +22

I'm having trouble visualizing it. It would be useful to post a sample of what your data looks like and what you would like it to look like. It can be made up values, it's the schemas that are important.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

If I understood the requirement correctly, this approach might help you.

1. Create 15 min interval records for the entire duration using Creator, AttributeCreator etc.
  2. Merge the signal data to the interval records using time value as join key with the FeatureMerger.
  3. Write the features together from both the Merged port and UnmergedRequestor port into the destination table.
Badge +3

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies. To clarify I've added some files. These are the originals:

38499 PulseA 40103764 11C2399 10052019132213.txt

38500 PulseA 44233990 23C3037 10052019130729.txt

And the file structure:

filesttucture.txt

These files show data over a date range. The header of the file shows the ID of the item, with a start and end time. Later data shows a pulse at a particular date and time.

I'm using a TestFilter to alter the time to set 15 minute blocks (such as pulses between 00:00 and 00:15) and using a StatisticsCalculator to count them for the particular 15 min period.

There are 96 minute intervals in a day, but the file might only show data for 4 of them.

I need to join these to a master time dataset:

timemaster.xlsx

Which I can do, but I need to copy the logger id / serial id into the blank time master values to create a 96 interval profile, with 0's for the missing data, like so:

finaldata.xlsx

At the moment all I'm achieving is this:

myoutput.xlsx

Without filling in the blanks I can't create a smooth 96 interval profile in my BI Tool

I've added my workspace:

.pittesting4.fmw

Thank you for any help!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I think this workspace example describes a way to accomplish the requirement.

textline2none.fmwt

Badge +3

textline2none.fmwt

Takashi,

Thank you so much. Your workflow is simple, elegant and beautiful. Just by studying it you've taught me some many new techniques and methods I can use to create my workflows. I really appreciate the time you've taken to look at this for me.

Warmest regards,

Neil

Badge +3

textline2none.fmwt

Takashi,

Sorry - the only other thing I need to do is add the date field also to the output (DD/MM/YYYY). The Startdate and EndDate might be different if the data runs over into the next day. Is this possible?

Kind Regards

Neil

Badge +3

Hi Takashi,

Your solution is fantastic but I also need to add the date to the current timestamp. This will complicate things as the start date and end date might span days. Can this be added into the current workflow? I have added a file:

40150 PulseA 45942640 24C2727 15052019091558.txt

Kind Regards

Neil

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Some date/time operations might help you. Example: textline2none-v2.fmwt

Badge +3

Thanks Takashi. Is it possible you could downgrade the workspace you have added to FME 2018.1? I can't open it fully.

Kind Regards

Neil

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

This is it. textline2none-v2-2018.fmwt

Hope everyone who asks a question mentions required FME version at first if it isn't the latest one.

Badge +3

This is it. textline2none-v2-2018.fmwt

Hope everyone who asks a question mentions required FME version at first if it isn't the latest one.

Thank you - and sorry, yes, I should have mentioned I'm not on 2019. My company IT dept hasn't got round to upgrading us yet.

Badge +3

textline2none.fmwt

Hi Takashi,

I'm using your workspace successfully but am now having an issue where if a file comes in with new data the process is adding more records to the database rather than overwriting them. I've had a look at previous replies on here and people suggested a Joiner but that is depreciated in 2019. Do you know what I might be able to use to check that the record exists and is not overwritten? My data has no ID column.

Thank you