Question

Python dll not working in FME 2016 32-bit

• 9 December 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge

We've been using the custom Python interpreter in C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\python27.dll so that we can import arcpy. In FME 2015 32-bit this has been working fine but we've started using FME 2016 32-bit and this causes FME to crash (we get an error message saying FME EXE has stopped working). I thought this was to do with importing the arcpy module but it appears to be a more fundamental problem with the interpreter. I'm using a basic script to test it which doesn't involve importing any modules and FME still crashes.

7 replies

Badge +2

Can you use Python normally with the regular FME Python interpreter? Or does that cause a crash as well?

Badge +9

Hi @peterjbaldwin,

I think @ngoorman's idea above is a great test, see if that also causes a problem which means the issue is more fundamental to FME than to the version of Python. If that doesn't crash then inspect the version of Python that ArcGIS has installed. Can you run a script using IDLE with that Python DLL?

A few more questions:

What version of ArcGIS is installed?

Where are you running this script (Python Caller, Shutdown script)?

If all else fails do contact our support team at https://www.safe.com/support/ by either using our Live Chat or Submitting a case.

Badge

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I've tried the regular FME Python interpreter and it works fine.

I've realised that if I add 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FME2016\\fmeobjects\\python27' to the PYTHONPATH environment variable it works fine with the custom interpreter but it obviously causes issues with our FME 2015 32-bit version then.

We're using ArcGIS 10.3.1 and a Python Caller.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Badge

Hi

I seem to have the same issue, we are running FME 64bit and FME32bit desktop on the same machine and have set custom Python interpreter in C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\python27.dll for the 32-bitand C:\\Windows\\system32\\python27.dll for the 64-bit version.

However when running 32-bit desktop It looks like its loading the correct python:

But the workbench exits with the error:

If I check in the eventlog i have the following, see the third attachement.

Here it looks like its trying to run the 64-bit dll for python.

We are using FME 2016.1.0.1

kind regards

Guha

Badge

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I've tried the regular FME Python interpreter and it works fine.

I've realised that if I add 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FME2016\\fmeobjects\\python27' to the PYTHONPATH environment variable it works fine with the custom interpreter but it obviously causes issues with our FME 2015 32-bit version then.

We're using ArcGIS 10.3.1 and a Python Caller.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Hi

I seem to have the same issue, we are running FME 64bit and FME32bit desktop on the same machine and have set custom Python interpreter in C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\python27.dll for the 32-bitand C:\\Windows\\system32\\python27.dll for the 64-bit version.

However when running 32-bit desktop It looks like its loading the correct python:

But the workbench exits with the error:

If I check in the eventlog i have the following, see the third attachement.

Here it looks like its trying to run the 64-bit dll for python.

We are using FME 2016.1.0.1

kind regards

Guha

Userlevel 4

Hi 

I seem to have the same issue, we are running FME 64bit and FME32bit desktop on the same machine and have set custom Python interpreter in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\python27.dll  for the 32-bitand C:\Windows\system32\python27.dll  for the 64-bit version. 

However when running 32-bit desktop It looks like its loading the correct python:

0684Q00000ArLucQAF.png

But the workbench exits with the error:

0684Q00000ArLLPQA3.png

If I check in the eventlog i have the following, see the third attachement.

Here it looks like its trying to run the 64-bit dll for python.

We are using FME 2016.1.0.1

kind regards

Guha 

Even though FME uses the correct dll, it might happen that the path leads it to the 64-bit version of the Python libraries. Try setting the PYTHONHOME environment variable to point to your 32-bit installation of Python before starting FME, e.g.

PYTHONHOME=C:\python27-x32\
Documentation: https://docs.python.org/2/using/cmdline.html#environment-variables

Badge

No it doesnt seem to help, whatever I do I cannot get the 32bit-fme to execute python using the custom intepreter option.