Question

FME Server outgoing mail

• 9 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I've come across an interesting case with a customer recently, they were trying to set up outgoing email from FME Server and while an Emailer transformer with their mail server credentials worked fine, those same credentials in e.g. the Datadownload success notification or as the system email didn't work. No error messages, just didn't do it. Any idea what causes this (or where to begin looking in the logs for a clue?)

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Possibly access related - SMTP server is not accessible by FME Server (this wouldn't be the case if the emailer was also working on the FME Server workspace).

Error messages can be seen in the email subscription logs: Resources\\Logs\\core\\current\\subscribers\\email.log

I've had this on FME Server when the port was different to what FME Server expected for the given encryption type TLS vs SSL vs No Encryption. https://www.mailgun.com/blog/which-smtp-port-understanding-ports-25-465-587/

In the FME Server doc it says

"SMTP Server Port – Mail exchange TCP port used for sending email. If Connection Security (below) is SSL/TLS, specify port 465. If StartTLS or None, specify port 587."

No mention on Port 25 here so it's possible that there is something a bit silly going on but seems unlikley.

In the end I wasn't sure if it was our mistake or FME Server.

Could also be a closed port that FME Server is trying to use for something as well.