Question

WorkBench Execution

• 11 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Hi All,

Is there any way to execute workbenches without installing FME in workstation.

Pratap

8 replies

Userlevel 4

You will need a licensed installation of either FME Desktop or FME Server to execute a workspace. You do not necessarily have to use FME Workbench to execute your workspace, however, you can also use fme.exe with command line options, effectively hiding the whole GUI from the user.

In addition to FME, you will need a (licensed) installation of all supporting libraries used by your workspace, e.g. ArcGIS and database drivers on the same machine.

Badge +10

You could also use the Universal Translator to execute a workspace.

It is an option to set the Universal Translator as preferred application to execute .fmw files. This way Workbench will stay hidden.

Userlevel 4

You could also use the Universal Translator to execute a workspace.

It is an option to set the Universal Translator as preferred application to execute .fmw files. This way Workbench will stay hidden.

Good point. I think it's called Quick Translator now, however? Or did you have something else in mind?
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

You could run them on the FME Cloud. Of course you still need an FME installation somewhere to create the workspaces. Check out fmecloud.com

Badge +2

Hi @david_r, @lars_de_vries, @Mark2AtSafe,

Thank you for the reply.

My intention of asking this question is to provide workbenches to non-FME users. It may be like we will change our workbenches as bat/exe files such that non-FME users can just execute the workbench by providing parameters.

As far as I remember previously there is an option to create workbenches as exe files but I'm not sure either it is workbenchname.fme or workbenchname.exe :)

Pratap

Userlevel 4

Thank you for the reply.

My intention of asking this question is to provide workbenches to non-FME users. It may be like we will change our workbenches as bat/exe files such that non-FME users can just execute the workbench by providing parameters.

As far as I remember previously there is an option to create workbenches as exe files but I'm not sure either it is workbenchname.fme or workbenchname.exe :)

Pratap

Even if it was possible, have you been in contact with Safe regarding how to license such a thing?
Userlevel 4

You could run them on the FME Cloud. Of course you still need an FME installation somewhere to create the workspaces. Check out fmecloud.com

Yes, definitely. Also, it's fairly easy to create a user-friendly interface on top of FME Cloud that hides the technical implementation, see e.g. www.geopol.ch for an example on how to build client solutions on top of FME Cloud.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thank you for the reply.

Pratap

The exe file might have been considered at some point, but I don't recall it happening. The workspace file is just a definition and it needs an engine to run on. You could create your own application (using FME Objects) that runs a workspace, but it still needs FME licensing.

The only way for someone with no FME installation at all to run a workspace is to send it to another machine with an FME engine. Typically this would be FME Server (or FME Cloud) and there are multiple ways to submit a job (via email, dropping a file into Dropbox, etc). You could even set it up to right-click a file in Windows Explorer and choose "Submit to FME". But it still needs that engine somewhere.

You could - perhaps - set up a system with FME installed on a desktop machine, and have people submit jobs to it. But you'd have to set up a queuing sort of system (in short, recreate FME Server) and I've no idea if that is permitted in the FME licensing.

In short, I'd recommend FME Cloud. It's designed for exactly the scenario you want and you can have a solution up and running in just a couple of hours.