Question

Shape to AutoCAD with attributes

• 16 February 2016
  • 9 replies

I am trying to convert shape files with attributes to AutoCAD .dwg files, but when I get the attributes to come across, the geometry is forced to an FME block. I want the geometry to be a polyline, but still maintain the attributes as properties in the cad file.

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

You will need to set your DWG Writer properties to write attributes:

You will need to set your DWG Writer properties to write attributes:

Thank you. I am actually able to get the attributes using Extended Entity Data, as you show in the capture, however the geometry comes across as an FME block, rather than a polyline. If I explode the block in AutoCAD, I then lose the attributes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Can you try creating a new attribute (no need to add it to the output feature type) with the name of autocad_entity set to autocad_line. That should force the writer to create lines.

Badge +2

Hi,

I don't understand the reason of converting into block.

Alternatively, you can use geometry filter and use GeometryCoercer to each geometry type as required.

Pratap

Badge +2

Hi,

Have you used any Aggregator in between?

Pratap

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

It's probably because these are Aggregate features (i.e. multi-line). Use a Deaggregator transformer in between and it should work better.

Badge +15

It's probably because these are Aggregate features (i.e. multi-line). Use a Deaggregator transformer in between and it should work better.

Thanks Mark, I came across a similar case today and this solved the problem.

Badge +3

I am havin this problem too using FME 2015.

I style my dwg using a template to insert symbols. I use a template for else i cannot rotate my symbols when they are aggegated to form blocks (it will rotate them to the last value in the blockname..so all matching blocknames have same rotation, wich is not desired. (only if i deaggregate them can i have individual rotations, but that increases the dwg size considerably.)

The template therefore works best.

This ais works fine, but apart from the symbols (wich are blocks) i get these unwanted block objects.

I scan the data prior to writing, no colllections, no aggregates, no duplicates in the attributevalue that will become the block names...still i get the unwanted blocks.

When i check the autocad file (using autocad) the blocks do consist mostly of at least 2 objects.

Somehow fme has combined objects into a single named object.

But the name is created not by me (at least not voluntarily). I have the "use block name as..blabla" swithced off.

..easy to see wich are the culprits...how to oust them?!

Badge

Thank you. I am actually able to get the attributes using Extended Entity Data, as you show in the capture, however the geometry comes across as an FME block, rather than a polyline. If I explode the block in AutoCAD, I then lose the attributes.

Hello,

I am also able to get the attributes using Extended Entity Data but how can you see the attributes in Autocad? (I tought we had to convert the attributes in annotation with labeller to see the attributes?)