Question

FME transform to FMW

• 18 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Is it possible, and if it is, how could i transform my .FME to .FMW file??

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

There's no automated method. As far as I know you need an expert in mapping files to figure out what the file does and write an equivalent workspace .fmw file.

Can I ask where did the .fme file come from? It must be quite old!

Badge

There's no automated method. As far as I know you need an expert in mapping files to figure out what the file does and write an equivalent workspace .fmw file.

Can I ask where did the .fme file come from? It must be quite old!

Thank you for the answer!

We've got this file as part of process chain. Yes, it is rather old and it was saved in Quick Translator. But now we need to make changes in it, and don't know how exactly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

We've got this file as part of process chain. Yes, it is rather old and it was saved in Quick Translator. But now we need to make changes in it, and don't know how exactly.

As @mark2atsafe says: your best bet is to have an experienced FME user look at it (when mapping files are mentioned only @peterlaulund comes to mind really) to see if they can figure out what's going on in the process and then to rebuild it in Workbench.

If it's purely Quick Translator that's being done you may be in luck, it could be a simple A-to-B format conversion, but there's no guarantee.

In case it is more complex you may also want to take this opportunity and see if you can redo the entire process, if it is an old one I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out there's a lot of efficiency to be gained by updating it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think it depends on whether the file was manually edited as well as generated in Quick Translator. If it was just generated in Quick Translator and saved immediately, then it's likely just a translation from one format to another, and you should be able to build the equivalent in Workbench fairly quickly.

Otherwise (or if you don't know exactly how it was created) unfortunately, I think you are going to need an expert in mapping files to assist you. Either to make the changes you need to the mapping file, or to rewrite it as a workspace. I'm sorry, I just don't see another way.

You could find an expert by contacting one of our partners around the world (https://www.safe.com/partners/). You could also send the file to Safe support (https://www.safe.com/support/) but - while we'll be able to give you an idea of what the file does - we won't be able to rewrite or update it for you (that's just outside the extent of our support).

I hope this helps.

Badge

I think it depends on whether the file was manually edited as well as generated in Quick Translator. If it was just generated in Quick Translator and saved immediately, then it's likely just a translation from one format to another, and you should be able to build the equivalent in Workbench fairly quickly.

Otherwise (or if you don't know exactly how it was created) unfortunately, I think you are going to need an expert in mapping files to assist you. Either to make the changes you need to the mapping file, or to rewrite it as a workspace. I'm sorry, I just don't see another way.

You could find an expert by contacting one of our partners around the world (https://www.safe.com/partners/). You could also send the file to Safe support (https://www.safe.com/support/) but - while we'll be able to give you an idea of what the file does - we won't be able to rewrite or update it for you (that's just outside the extent of our support).

I hope this helps.

Yes! it was really helpful! Thank you very much! Seems to have to re-assemble the chain

Badge

As @mark2atsafe says: your best bet is to have an experienced FME user look at it (when mapping files are mentioned only @peterlaulund comes to mind really) to see if they can figure out what's going on in the process and then to rebuild it in Workbench.

If it's purely Quick Translator that's being done you may be in luck, it could be a simple A-to-B format conversion, but there's no guarantee.

In case it is more complex you may also want to take this opportunity and see if you can redo the entire process, if it is an old one I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out there's a lot of efficiency to be gained by updating it.

Thank you so much for advice and helpuflness!! i am going to try to do it all over again