Question

Line on Line Overlay - Comparing one feature set to another

• 3 September 2013
  • 3 replies

Badge
I think this is a simple one, but for the life of me i cant seem to figure it out.   

I am running a line on line overlayer and only want to compare 1 feature dataset to another (i.e. i dont want features from the same input dataset to self intersect).

Thanks in advance.  I am running FME2011.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Check ou the matcher or change detector for geometric copmparisons.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I guess you have two line feature groups (datasets) and you are trying to split lines at intersections between a group and another group (except intersections of lines belonging to the same group).

If my understanding is correct, this article could be helpful for you: Find intersecting lines that have different attribute values http://fmepedia.safe.com/AnswersQuestionDetail?id=906a0000000cnYWAAY   After finding the intersections, you can split lines at them using a PointOnLineOverlayer.

Hope this helps.

Takashi
Badge
Thanks for all the repsonses.   I tried a few things still with no success based on your suggestions.  I guess i should have explained my issue in a little more detail.

I have 2 input line feature datasets (dataset1 and dataset2).

I would like to create a point feature dataset in all instances where the features from dataset1 intersect the features from dataset2 (but not within each dataset).

Intersector (and some suggestion above) would work perfectly except the lines in dataset1 have in certain instances millions and millions of self intersections (dont ask) and cause the intersector to run for hours, and in some instances, days!

As the one post says, i really need a "do not group by" option in the intersector.

Thanks in advance.