Question

Is there a way to populate parameters before opening a work space?

• 20 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

I am having some issues with the 2020 install and i have had to move over to a different PC. I migrated everything fine, but when i open the workspaces, the first thing that occurs is the feature readers try and find the old database and then drop all the feature types that were previously being read.

Some of these have 10 or more specific features, all with multiple links so it will take a long time to try and re-link them in, is there any way i can change the parameter without opening it, then open it up?

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @afod, I think it depends on how you configured the database connection in your workspace.

For example, if you have set a database connection name to the Dataset parameter in the FeatureReader, you can export the definition of the connection from the old PC and import it to the new PC before opening the workspace in the new PC. Then FME on the new PC can access the database with the same connection name as the old PC, and therefore the feature types configuration can also be kept.

To export/import a database connection, open the FME Options window (Workbench menu: Tools > FME Options), go to the Database Connections page, right-click on the connections list > Export/Import.

Badge +3

Hmm i see, it was configured purely with just a created linked user parameter. Then just select the SQLite DB from explorer.

The weird thing is i have been able to send the workspace to clients who have to go in manually and re-path it all before they run it and this didn't happen to them (2019) FME.

If the work space is run via a runner without any interference it works fine but as soon as i open it all the readers drop back to just having a Generic port only.