Question

Number of Records that SQLExecutor Inserts

Badge +1
  • Participant
  • 126 replies
I am using the SQLExecutor to INSERT records into an Oracle table. I then want to find how many records are inserted. With PL/SQL I can write:

BEGIN

insert into feature_test_error(id) values(999);

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(SQL%ROWCOUNT);

END;

...but the SQLExecutor does not return this as a SELECT statement. Is there a way to get the number rows inserted from the Result port of the SQLExecutor in the same SQLExecutor?

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi

You need to use the RETURNING INTO-clause:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14261/returninginto_clause.htm

You can then expose the returned attribute name.

David
Badge +1
I think you would use RETURNING INTO in a stored procedure, would you not? Something like:

DECLARE

numberRecords NUMBER := 0;     

BEGIN

UPDATE feature_test_error SET error_type='LABELTEXT' where id in ('1588919', '1588934')

returning count(*) into numberRecords;

END;

However, this is not a stored procedure but rather some SQL inside of an SQLExecutor and the variable numberRecords does not have a value that you would get in a SELECT statement.

If there is no PL/SQL that works in the SQLExecutor, it would be great if FME could return the number of records UPDATEd or DELETEd in the SQLExecutor.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

Another thought. I think it's also possible to get the number of records before and after inserting with two select statements. e.g.

-----

FME_SQL_DELIMITER ;

select count(*) as num from my_table;

<the insert statement ending with a semi-colon>

select count(*) as num from my_table;

-----

The SQLExecutor will output two features containing the number of records before/after inserting. You can then calculate the number of inserted records using those features.

Takashi
Badge +1
This might work for an INSERT statement, but what about an UPDATE statement? You would just be guessing if you said

select count(*) as num from my_table

where id in(123, 456, 789);

update my_table set error_type='LABELTEXT' where id in (123,456,789);

Depending on your WHERE clause, the actual number of records updated might different than the "select count(*) " statement selected.

As I said, it would be great if the SQLExecutor could tell you how many records were INSERTED, UPDATED, or DELETED.