Question

offset any overlapping point into a circle around the original location of the overlapping point

• 15 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi,

How can I take a point that has overlaps at a distance of 150 ft from the pointonpointoverlayer and take those overlapping points to form a circle?

I used the https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/25031/offset-points-on-a-circle.html reference and I was able to build a circle from eriks but I go from 798 records to over 10,000.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Do you mean that all the points at the same location should be offset onto a circle with a specific radius, like this screenshot (move from the center to red points)?

Badge

I'm guessing the reason you got over 10 000 points from your original 798 is that for each of the 798 you create a circle of points from the ones that overlap. That means that each point appears as the "master" of its own circle and also as a contributor to multiple other circles.

If that is the case you need to disqualify points that are being used as overlappers from becoming new "masters" in the next circle. The trick then is to decide for each point that is overlapping another within 150 ft if it should belong to this or that circle. The path chosen to do that would depend on the result you are trying to achieve, i.e. what information you are trying to visualize.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Your solution might be using the Matcher transformer (Single Matched output and match on geometry) to get a single point at the overlap.

That point will have an additional attribute for the number of overlaps (match count) that can be used to determine the number of points on the circle.

Hope this helps.

Do you mean that all the points at the same location should be offset onto a circle with a specific radius, like this screenshot (move from the center to red points)?

Yes that was my original goal but it turns out i did it wrong. I was supposed to used the SpreadDuplicatePoints hub transformer and I had to set my point tolerance to one in the pointonpointoverlayer transformer. I used that originally but since despite it created a circle from it's description, It showed points that were in a shape of a triangle, plus sign, etc.

Your solution might be using the Matcher transformer (Single Matched output and match on geometry) to get a single point at the overlap.

That point will have an additional attribute for the number of overlaps (match count) that can be used to determine the number of points on the circle.

Hope this helps.

Turns out my model was wrong I got it fixed but your model I used as an example didn't actually make an offset circle. The SpreadDuplicatePoints hub transformer did it despite originally it made plus signs and points that were displayed in a triangle format. Thank you though.

I'm guessing the reason you got over 10 000 points from your original 798 is that for each of the 798 you create a circle of points from the ones that overlap. That means that each point appears as the "master" of its own circle and also as a contributor to multiple other circles.

If that is the case you need to disqualify points that are being used as overlappers from becoming new "masters" in the next circle. The trick then is to decide for each point that is overlapping another within 150 ft if it should belong to this or that circle. The path chosen to do that would depend on the result you are trying to achieve, i.e. what information you are trying to visualize.

Turns out my model was wrong I got it fixed but as the result from the chopper, I tried to do a feature merger. That was a big mistake. The SpreadDuplicatePoints hub transformer was able to fix it did it despite originally it displayed the points into plus signs and points that were displayed in a triangle format. Thank you for your help.