Solved

ESRI Reprojector - Read Source Coordinate Sytem from feature

• 7 November 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge

Is it possible to read the coordinate system from the input features and use it as source for the ESRI reprojector? Background is, that I don't want to define a transformer for each UTM zone as the destination coordinate system and the geographic transformation will be identical for all, so it would make sense to read the source coordinate system from the input files. Unfortunately I have no idea how to realize this. I've tried a User parameter, but I have no idea how to dynamically populate this value with the source coordinate system.

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 8 November 2018, 17:23

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Assuming you mean the regular Reprojector and the reprojection engine set to ESRI in the workspace parameters then yes. The Reprojector defaults to "read from feature" for the source coordinate system so it should read it properly if it is stored properly in or with the source data.

Badge

Actually I wanted to use the EsriReprojector transformer, because I can define the transformation method used explicitly, in the Reprojector I have no control over the transformation method.

Anyway, I did not know that I can set the reprojection engine to ESRI in the workspace. Where do I have to make this setting?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Actually I wanted to use the EsriReprojector transformer, because I can define the transformation method used explicitly, in the Reprojector I have no control over the transformation method.

Anyway, I did not know that I can set the reprojection engine to ESRI in the workspace. Where do I have to make this setting?

I don't have the ESRIReprojector myself (I'm assuming requires an FME ESRI license and/or a local ArcGIS install, neither of which I have), but you can use a CoordinateExtractor to store the coordinate system name in an attribute and then use that attribute to feed the source coordinate system parameter.

As for setting the reprojection engine, you can do that in the Navigator:

The options that are offered there are the installed projection libraries, so it's FME, ESRI or BMG off the top of my head.

Badge

Thanks for the screenshot! The problem with the EsriReprojector is, that it does not allow attribute fields as input. I can work with a User parameter, but then I have to set the coordinate system manually at translation startup - not ideal. But maybe the CsmapReprojector together with the Reprojection Engine set to ESRI will be the best solution. I will search for documentation about transformation methods used by this transformer...

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Yes, unfortunately there is no current way to use an attribute for the source or destination coordinate system in an EsriReprojector. I see we do have that as a planned future update. The reference number is FMEENGINE-9178. If you have any queries then do contact our support team and quote that reference number.

The other thing you might do is file this as an "idea" on this site. Then other users can upvote the idea if it is important to them, and we are more likely to give this a higher priority.

In the meantime, I think Hans' idea is good. Try the Reprojector with the Esri engine. It's slightly different, because you don't get the same selection interface, but I think it's the best thing to try for now.

Badge +10

Hi @ateko​,

I'm please to let you know that with FME 2020.1, you are now able to select attributes to specify the coordinate system with the EsriReprojector.

-Andrea