Question

BADNEWS: File D:\\Apps\\FME\\metafile\\MULTI_WRITER.fmf could not be opened (tabrdr.cpp:161)

Badge

Good morning

I am using FME Desktop 2017 and have received this error when trying to write shapefiles using a workbench that was created in an earlier desktop version. The specific workbench runs on FME 32 bit as we are reading from an Access Database

9 replies

Userlevel 4

Try re-creating the writer in the workspace (delete and insert new). This will insert a writer of the latest version and might help if the workspace was created with a really old version of FME.

If that doesn't work, maybe try reinstalling FME.

Badge

Thanks for your advice, I had deleted the old writer and added in a new shapefile writer but that failed too.

We have now deleted the shapefile writers totally and will produce Tab files instead as this seems to work without any issues (one of the benefits of using QGIS to read the output is that you are not limited by the file types to visualise the results.)

Rog

Badge +16

another possible option is to open a new blank ws and copy the old ws content into it, might just work or atleast you can try it.

Badge

Thanks Itay, also tried that one too. I had looked at the other previous posts from around 2013/14 in relation to this issue and exhausted the options.

Badge

I have the same problem on a bran new install of FME DESKTOP 

FME 2017.0.1.1 (20170512 - Build 17291 - WIN64)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 10 Server 4.0 64-bit  (Build 14393)
Reader: MSSQL_JDBC_NONSPATIAL Writer: MongoDB
Error: BADNEWS: File C:\Program Files\FME\metafile\MULTI_WRITER.fmf could not be opened (tabrdr.cpp:161)
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Do you have the debug logging turned on (Tools > FME Options)? If so, that might be responsible for the logging. I'm not sure whether your workspace runs to completion or stops at the error. If it runs to completion and turning off that setting removes the error then I would say all is OK. It's just a spurious error.

Otherwise I think it's worth filing a case with our support team (safe.com/support)

Did this ever get solved - am encountering the same "|ERROR |BADNEWS: File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\MULTI_WRITER.fmf could not be opened (tabrdr.cpp:161)" error

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Did this ever get solved - am encountering the same "|ERROR |BADNEWS: File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\MULTI_WRITER.fmf could not be opened (tabrdr.cpp:161)" error

Hi @rungew.

BADNEWS messages can often be safely ignored. Please try turning log debug, extra debugging off, then re-run the translation. If the warning or error doesn't show up with "log debug" off, the translation is likely running fine.

If the translation isn't running successfully after turning off the log debug, please create a new question and include as much information as possible:

• A clear statement of the problem you are trying to resolve
  • The version of FME you are using, including build number and edition
  • A small sample of your data, or screenshots of the data in the FME Data Inspector
  • A description of your expected output, with screenshots if possible
  • Your FME workspace
  • Your FME translation log file (these can be attached using the Insert File (paper clip) icon)
  • Any other information that may be useful to share
Badge +6

I'm experiencing this now - on FME Desktop 2021.0. However adding an AttributeManager before the .shp-file writer to fix the attributes, and changing the write from Manual to Automatic seems to have fixed it for now.