Question

Point elevation from 3D polyline

• 28 August 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a set of 2D points and a disolved polyline in 3D formate that they overlap (with 100% precision) If the elevation (Z coordinates) of the polyline is removed.

I am looking for a solution to elevate the points such that the intersection of each point matches the 3D polyline.

Best regards

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

You can use the SurfaceDraper for that. If the 3D line has less than 3 vertices or the vertices are all aligned you'll need to add at least one other 3D line (doesn't matter where if you're absolutely certain the 2D points match the 3D line perfectly/

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

You can use the SurfaceDraper for that. If the 3D line has less than 3 vertices or the vertices are all aligned you'll need to add at least one other 3D line (doesn't matter where if you're absolutely certain the 2D points match the 3D line perfectly/

Great solution @redgeographics!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25
Great solution @redgeographics!

Thanks! I'm surprised it works to be honest, but it'll of course go (horribly) wrong if the points are not exactly on the lines.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I agree that the SurfaceDraper works a treat. FYI, the PointOnLineOverlayer (as far as I know, in FME 2016.1+) transfers elevation (and measure) from a line to matched points. However, it's not documented explicitly. @NatalieAtSafe, I hope that someone from Safe confirms that the behavior of the POLO is correct as its specifications, and I think the Help should be updated to describe the functionalities (elevation and measure will be transferred from line to matched points) if it was correct.

Thanks, it worked perfectly. I used densifier to add vertices to the 3D polyline and SurfaceDroper worked it magic.

Badge +2

I think NeighborFinder should also transfer the Z values from the line (Candidate) to the points (bases)