Question

How to write on LandXML from DXF/DWG files

• 15 April 2020
  • 8 replies

I have got a LandXML schema and I am wondering how can I export a LandXML file based on that from a DWG/DXF reader.

Can you please give me some samples/tutorial or guide me how can I map the DXF data to LandXML file?

Thank you & Regards,

FB

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @badieeau,

We have an article on writing to LandXML available at:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1203/creating-landxml-files.html

Hi @badieeau,

We have an article on writing to LandXML available at:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1203/creating-landxml-files.html

Hi @daveatsafe,

Thanks for sharing this. I have already seen this sample however it does not use DXF/DWG or any format as an input (Reader). Also the attributes in this example are not dynamic to get their values from other sources/Readers.

Finally, I don't know how to use my XML schema (*.xsd) in FME. I didn't find any transformer for that.

Can you please assist me in the above requirements.

Thank you & Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @badieeau,

The LandXML writer does not require a schema file. If you would like to share a sample of your source DWG data, and let me know what LandXML features you would like to convert to, I can have a look at creating an initial workspace.

Hi @badieeau,

The LandXML writer does not require a schema file. If you would like to share a sample of your source DWG data, and let me know what LandXML features you would like to convert to, I can have a look at creating an initial workspace.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

Please find the attached file here. I am aiming to read the DWG and write it to LandXML and create something like the attached XML file.

Thank you and regards,

PS123456A.XML

PS123456A.dwg

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @badieeau,

Thank you for the sample data - it was very helpful.

The DWG file seems to have been created in Civil3D, so I used FME's Civil3D reader as the input. The bulk of the Parcel information was obtained from the extended data on the features, using the autocad_extended_data_list format attribute in the workspace.

I am attaching a workspace that creates a LandXML file almost exactly the same as the one you provided, I also checked the output with the LandXML Validator at landxml.org, and it passes.

CivilToLandXML.fmw

Hi @badieeau,

Thank you for the sample data - it was very helpful.

The DWG file seems to have been created in Civil3D, so I used FME's Civil3D reader as the input. The bulk of the Parcel information was obtained from the extended data on the features, using the autocad_extended_data_list format attribute in the workspace.

I am attaching a workspace that creates a LandXML file almost exactly the same as the one you provided, I also checked the output with the LandXML Validator at landxml.org, and it passes.

CivilToLandXML.fmw

Thank you @daveatsafe for creating and sharing this. I am going to work on that as the created LandXML is different with the original output LandXML that I had already sent.

I am wondering, does the FME 2020 supports LandXML versions higher than Ver 1.1?

I see that the generated LandXML file thru FME is in Ver 1.1.

Once again, thanks for your reply and sorry for belated response from me.

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Thank you @daveatsafe for creating and sharing this. I am going to work on that as the created LandXML is different with the original output LandXML that I had already sent.

I am wondering, does the FME 2020 supports LandXML versions higher than Ver 1.1?

I see that the generated LandXML file thru FME is in Ver 1.1.

Once again, thanks for your reply and sorry for belated response from me.

Regards,

Hi @badieeau,

FME presently supports LandXML only up to 1.1.

Badge +4

why is the old files no longer available after upgrading to the new community