Solved

FME Server - Send Email with Office365 Error

• 28 February 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge

Update: Newb issue with FME Server. Opened up port 587 on the FME Cloud security settings. So as with most things I solved my own problem minutes after I gave up and asked for help.

I am building an application using FME Server (cloud) and part of it is an email exchange. Using the extensive tutorials provided by Safe (thank you for that) I am able to receive and process the email from an Office 365 accout with imap settings outlook.office365.com and publish to a READ_EMAIL notifier.

The issue I am now having is setting up the SMTP settings. Following the great tutorials by Safe I can successfully send via my gmail account. However, Office365 seems to be another animal. I've logged into the account and used the specified settings:

Server name: smtp.office365.com

Port: 587

Encryption method: TLS

I've tried every permutation of this (SSL, TLS, nothing, etc.) The only place I can see the difference is there is no option to verify the certificate (yes or no.) Microsoft specifies not to verify the certificate in their documentation. Is there a way to change or force this setting in the email subscriber settings?

Has anyone had any luck setting up Office365 with FME server for SMTP and can provide some direction?

Thanks,

Matt

Update: It seems to be a derivative of this post by @erik_jan recently: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/23243/how-to-...

I'm wondering if this a bug and if so when will it be resolved?

icon

Best answer by matthewbrucker 29 February 2016, 03:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Hi Matt,

As you can see in the discussion that took place in my call (that you mentionned) is the office365 smtp server using TLS. That part is correct.

I was using the PythonEmailer transformer to send email and the Python code was lacking a part, that is mentionned in my call.

I wonder if the email functionality in the notification is using the same code and therefor lacking the same section.

Maybe @BrianAtSafe can answer that as he helped me solve my issue.

Erik

Badge

I ended up solving my own problem by opening port 587 on FME Clouds security console. I kept banging my head on the desk as I "knew" I was doing everything right... even spent an hour with Microsoft support to make sure everything was good to go on their end. What confused me about the ports is that I tried with my own GMAIL account and it worked perfect without opening ports so I didn't think about that for a while.

From a UI/UX perspective, I would probably design the system to open the required port (maybe with a dialogue confirmation prompt) automatically when creating an EMAIL IMAP or SMTP subscriber.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I ended up solving my own problem by opening port 587 on FME Clouds security console. I kept banging my head on the desk as I "knew" I was doing everything right... even spent an hour with Microsoft support to make sure everything was good to go on their end. What confused me about the ports is that I tried with my own GMAIL account and it worked perfect without opening ports so I didn't think about that for a while.

From a UI/UX perspective, I would probably design the system to open the required port (maybe with a dialogue confirmation prompt) automatically when creating an EMAIL IMAP or SMTP subscriber.

Just wanted to say we ran into this as well. Opening up port 587 worked for us as well. very odd. Thanks for the tip