Solved

Create published parameter during a process

Badge

I have a project in which I expose a attribute. This attribute is used several times in my project. So, I just draw the same amount of line between the output of the attribute creation and the many input I have.

So, the result is a project with a spider web, not really userfriendly to work with.

Is there a transformer to "export" an attribute into a published parameter?

This involved that the published parameters is initialized to NULL. Is that possible?

icon

Best answer by david_r 7 July 2016, 12:13

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it is not possible to create or modify (published or private) parameters while a workspace is running, if that is the question. Or have I misunderstood?

Badge

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it is not possible to create or modify (published or private) parameters while a workspace is running, if that is the question. Or have I misunderstood?

You just answer a part of the question.

The other question for me is : how can I use output from a transformer without too much drawing lines in all my project?

I don't know if it's clear.

Userlevel 4

Look into tunnel connections that were introduced in FME 2016.1:

http://blog.safe.com/2016/05/fmeevangelist150/

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Or look at the variable setter and retriever

Badge

Look into tunnel connections that were introduced in FME 2016.1:

http://blog.safe.com/2016/05/fmeevangelist150/

Perfect. Thanks a lot.

Badge

Or look at the variable setter and retriever

If I understand clearly, it doesn't solve my web line problem.

It's for setting the value of a attribute. Even though I already have the value.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

If I understand clearly, it doesn't solve my web line problem.

It's for setting the value of a attribute. Even though I already have the value.

You set the value in one place, and then you retrieve it in another place, no need for a line between the setter and the retreiver. If you are using it multiple times you only need to set it once as a global variable and can retrieve it for use in various locations

Badge

You set the value in one place, and then you retrieve it in another place, no need for a line between the setter and the retreiver. If you are using it multiple times you only need to set it once as a global variable and can retrieve it for use in various locations

Ha ok. Thanks for your help.

Badge +3

it does not set an attribute but a variable.

Depending on where u set the attribute you might not be able to acces it always in all parts of the procces.

Depends of the flow in your workspace.

There is also the option of creating an attribute on lots of transformers (creators, writers and more). Rightclick below the tiltle and select "add attribute". Wich can be linked to parameters etc. also.

Badge

A collegue of mine have another solution.

In a workspace, I do the right process to obtain the variable. Then I use a WorkspaceRunner to run another workspace in wich the variable is a pusblished parameter.

Finally I use a ParameterFetcher to use it.

Userlevel 4

A collegue of mine have another solution.

In a workspace, I do the right process to obtain the variable. Then I use a WorkspaceRunner to run another workspace in wich the variable is a pusblished parameter.

Finally I use a ParameterFetcher to use it.

It is often like that with FME, lots of ways to solve the same problem. That's what makes it fun!