Question

Features with no schema defined error

• 17 September 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Hi,

I have a dynamic schema workspace where I have a reader, writer and custom-built projecter.  The workspace works correctly when I read and write certain shapefiles, but other shapefiles it does not work on  - for no apparent reason. I get the below error.  I am doing everything the same, so was wondering if there are some properties of shapefiles which affect how the dynamic schema works?

Features With No Schema defined

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

DYNAMIC                                                                      1

==============================================================================

Total Features NOT Written                                                   1

Thanks,

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Maybe this can help

https://safe.secure.force.com/articles/Samples_and_Demos/Dynamic-Schema-Examples-FME2011
Badge +1
Thanks Itay,

Just to add to my question - I realised that the workspace runs correctly on points and polylines, but does not work with polygons.  So it must be something to do with polygons, but what the problem is I cannot work out.

Badge +1
Ok I've narrowed down the problem to it relating to the geometry definition. 

In the "Feature Type Properties" for the writer, I initially had "Dynamic Properties" ticked.  The "Schema Sources" was set to the Reader source (ie: **\\*.shp) and the "Schema Definition" was set to Default.  With these settings I got the "Features not written - verify feature type fanout/dynamic settings" error.

However, if I untick "Dynamic Properties" and set the "Allowed Geometries" to shape_polygon, it works.  Therefore I am assuming the issue is with the writer not recognising the geometry of the input feature.  This doesn't really help me though, as I need to use the workspace on 100s of features of all different geometries.

So my question is - why does the dynamic writer recognise the geometry when I input points and polylines, but not when I input polygons??

Thanks

Badge +4
@aquamarine Thanks for following up and explaining what you did. Even though this was 2 years ago, I still find it very un-intuitive within FME Workbench and your answer helped me figure out why FME was creating folders but not writing any data.

Badge +8
Hi, you must be sure that the schema for the data you are planning to write, is in the workspace. Apparently, you built the workspace on a couple of feature types (= shapefiles) that work fine when run. Using the workspace with other shapefiles will not work, however, you can either import the schema, define the schema dynamically (see e.g. https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1051/index.html) or migrate the schema to a feature type that works using a SchemaMapper transformer.