Solved

Can you use ESRI GlobalID for FME Feature Merger? It is not working for me

Badge +1

Hello

I have point layer and related table in ESRI SQL data base. I need to bring it into FME to do some calculations and reporting.But once i bring both of them in FME feature Merger is not working for me. I am using ESRI GlobalID field. I am not sure if that is causing any issues? I don't have any other unique id in both tables. Please let me know if anybody used global id for feature merger or feature joiner? Or any other ideas?any help is welcome!

Thanks

Nikki

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 22 May 2018, 22:55

View original

3 replies

Badge +2

Hello @nikkia - you should be able to use the GlobalID in the FeatureMerger. However, sometimes when the GlobalID is used as a foreign key in a table it's store as a GUID data type. FME will read a GlobalID with parenthesis i.e. {44841353-D42E-473B-B77E-C67FFF92947C}, but FME will read a GUID without the parentheses: 44841353-D42E-473B-B77E-C67FFF92947C

You can see this if you display the data in FME Data Inspector.

In FeatureMerger, you can use the Text Editor on the Join Ids to add the {}:

{@Value(SupportStructure_GlobalID)}

Or do that up front in an AttributeCreator

Badge +1

Thanks @MarkAtSafe! That worked for me.

It was great to meet you at world tour.

I am diving into FME. Hoping to present next time.

Thanks

Nikki

Badge

Hi Nikki and Mark,

I just ran into the same issue - but trying to add attribute values from an excel spreadsheet to an SDE feature class. Just to confirm, you are adding the parenthesis to the IDs in your table, not the GlobalID field in your SDE feature class right? This doesn't seem to work for me (maybe because I'm using an Excel table, not a table stored in the same SDE?). Which comparison mode are you using?

I read in another question that there's also an issue because the excel ID is read as a UTF-8 and the ESRI SDE GlobalID field as a UTF-16LE - but haven't found a solution for how to work with those settings?

Mark, are you able to help?