Question

JPEG to Vector Conversion !!!

• 1 October 2015
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
I have a jpeg file(toposheet) which I need to convert to vector format, or .shp is best suitable. I can easily convert using online tools or freewares but!!! The challenge is...there are names given in the toposheet and I do not want them to get converted to vector format. Is there a possible way to do that?

6 replies

Badge +3
u could try a textrecognition freeware?

Badge +1

Hi Gio,

Thanks for the quick response :)

I could not find any s/w called "textrecognition". Though, I tried using Wintopo, but I was not able to exclude the names of the places written on the toposheet.

Is there any other online tool or s/w which can exclude the text and only take spatial content from the map.

Regards.
Badge +2
OCR or  Optical Character Recognition softwares can be used for this activity
Badge +1
Hi Pratap,

Thanks for your response. I tried looking more into onlineOCR for that matter, but the output which it gice is only .txt, .xlsx and .docx. :(

I think if we can extract the alphabets using python, it will be more helpful and accurate but I am not very good with python. So, I am stuck somewhere in between.

Regards.
Hi Pratap,

Thanks for your response. I tried looking more into onlineOCR for that matter, but the output which it gice is only .txt, .xlsx and .docx. :(

I think if we can extract the alphabets using python, it will be more helpful and accurate but I am not very good with python. So, I am stuck somewhere in between.

Regards.

You can try this free online ocr, it can convert image to searchable pdf.

Badge +14

I've done this in the past with varying degrees of success with the RasterCellCoercer, and set the 'Output Cell Geometry' to Polygons. Then in this case you can start to filter out features based on their extracted attribute values... You'll need to do plenty of inspection to see which pixels to extract and then dissolve and aggregate. Once you have the features out as polygons that you need, experimentation with the CenterLineReplacer or a minus value in the Bufferer may be the next step.

This is not an exact science using this method and it completely depends on your input image... but its an option to persue using FME.