Question

What are the different encoding profiles for the JPEG2000 writer?

• 30 January 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +6

Can somebody explain met the different encoding options for JPEG2000?

Normally we convert our TIFFS to ECW with a nice result and the converting is very fast.

Arcmap server needs an additional license to use ECW's, so I was thinking to use JPEG2000 instead.

The image quality is a tiny bit better and the file size is smaller, but the convertion took so long...

I used the standard FME writer options. Encoding profile 1 that is.

What is the difference between all those profiles? There is very little documentation about it or I cant find any.

Thx

Koen

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @koenvdw,

You can find the FME documentation on the JPEG 2000 profiles midway down the page at https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/jpeg2000/jpeg2000_format_attr.htm

Profile 0 uses a limited number of JPEG 2000 features. Profile 1 uses a few more, but not the complete set. Profile 2 uses the complete set. Profile 0 gives you the best compatibility with applications that have not implemented the complete JPEG 2000 feature set.

The NPJE and EPJE protocols were designed for military applications, and would normally be specified in the data delivery requirements.

Badge +6

Ok thx for the explanation.

I did a test and converted the same TIF with different settings.

Here are the results:

TIF -> ECW 26min41 1.76GB

TIF-> JPEG2000 (prof 0 and 2) 28min37 1.31GB

TIF-> JPEG2000 (NPJE) 24min51 1.29GB

TIF-> JPEG2000 (EPJE) 18min56 1.29GB

They all take the same time to load in QGIS after panning (or the difference isn't noticable).

There is no difference in quality between the JPEG2000's.

The JPEG2000's was a tiny bit better than the ECW (more contrast, but negligible ).

So for me the convertion time is the most important. I'll stick to JPEG2000 EPJE.