Question

Clipper Issue FME 2014

• 6 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge

I am having trouble with a simple Clipper piece of my workspace.

I have a dissolved aggregate of a handful of counties (ESRI .gdb polygon) that my company serves, and another ESRI .gdb polygon that represents a connectivity range for some of our infrastructure.

Goal is to clip the connectivity range shapes out of the counties, and return the counties with the pieces cut out of it. Pretty simple stuff. Unfortunately some sorting issue is rendering this piece unusable.

Anybody know why this keeps happening? Or how to address it?

I've tried deaggregating the "connectivity shapes" and using the "multiple clippers", or keeping it as an aggregate and using "single clipper", or using the "clippers first", and I never get what I'm looking for...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 43.9| 0.1|INFORM|Sorting 525 features...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 43.9| 0.0|INFORM|Determining uppermost containment...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 43.9| 0.0|INFORM|Constructing donuts from 525 features...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.0| 0.1|INFORM|Sorting 526 features...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.0| 0.0|INFORM|Determining uppermost containment...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.0| 0.0|INFORM|Constructing donuts from 526 features...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.1| 0.1|INFORM|Sorting 527 features...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.2| 0.0|INFORM|Determining uppermost containment...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.2| 0.0|INFORM|Constructing donuts from 527 features...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.3| 0.1|INFORM|Sorting 528 features...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.3| 0.0|INFORM|Determining uppermost containment...

2016-12-06 09:31:43| 44.3| 0.0|INFORM|Constructing donuts from 528 features...

8 replies

Badge
Not sure if sample pictures went through. They are below:

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Anybody know why this keeps happening?

I'm not quite sure what it is that is happening. Does the translation crash or hang or just stop? Does it produce a result that is incorrect? And are you looking at the in the Data Inspector or ArcGIS? Or is the output piece correct but won't open in ArcGIS? Or is it something else?

If you can clarify then we might be able to help more. But in general, if you attach an Inspector transformer to the Clipper output does it look correct? We need to figure out where the problem occurs, whether it's in the Clipper itself or in the output writer (or the tool that is viewing the output).

Badge

I'm not quite sure what it is that is happening. Does the translation crash or hang or just stop? Does it produce a result that is incorrect? And are you looking at the in the Data Inspector or ArcGIS? Or is the output piece correct but won't open in ArcGIS? Or is it something else?

If you can clarify then we might be able to help more. But in general, if you attach an Inspector transformer to the Clipper output does it look correct? We need to figure out where the problem occurs, whether it's in the Clipper itself or in the output writer (or the tool that is viewing the output).

Mark,

I already have 1 Clipper transformer in the workspace doing the exact same task with a different, slightly less complex shape and it works perfectly (results in image attached) and outputs into my geodatabase.

I am basically looking to get a similar shape like the attached image, just with a different polygon clipped out of the county dataset.

I've never actually sat through and let it finish once it starts the sorting process because I can't let this workspace run for 10 minutes...

Without this troublesome piece of the flow, the entire workspace takes roughly 3 minutes with no sorting process.

With this added Clipper, it goes well beyond 10 minutes.

Badge

I've isolated this Clipper piece as the issue and tried to run it as a stand-alone workflow to debug, but I get the same extensive sorting problem.

Badge
I've isolated this Clipper piece as the issue and tried to run it as a stand-alone workflow to debug, but I get the same extensive sorting problem.

FWIW, just this simple clip workflow above took 19 minutes 21 seconds. It did result with the correct output though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
FWIW, just this simple clip workflow above took 19 minutes 21 seconds. It did result with the correct output though.

@amoore4 If you wouldn't mind, it would be great to see how we do in FME 2017 with the same input. I know some optimizations have been done in computing hole nesting (which is what is taking so long here) and so it would be great to see how much it has improved. Or if you're able to send us the data and that simple workspace, that would be helpful too (support@safe.com). Thanks.

Badge

I was able to figure out a way around this issue simply by using the AreaOnAreaOverlayer, and then filtering out the geometry I was looking to "clip out" with the original workflow. Results are identical and I run into no extensive sorting backlog.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I was able to figure out a way around this issue simply by using the AreaOnAreaOverlayer, and then filtering out the geometry I was looking to "clip out" with the original workflow. Results are identical and I run into no extensive sorting backlog.

Glad to hear you got it working. When a feature is that intricate I guess it can take a while to clip properly. As Dale says, FME2017 got some updates in this area so may well be quicker.