Question

Workbench opens disabled readers. Does this affect performance/memory if there are many files?

• 10 April 2014
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have a shape2shape multi function workspace that I would like to use with two datasets.  This requires multiple readers but two of them can be swapable.  That is in one instance I use reader A and not reader B and the other I use reader B and not reader A.  I could have two work spaces but it means maintaining changes on both.  So it seemed to me to be more efficien to have one and disabling/enabling the readers I want.  The question is that  the workspace seems to be opening the disabled reader along with the enabled one.  Would this affect performance if there are very many files to open?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Disabling the reader feature on the canvas will result in reading the features, by disabling the reader (navigator>right click on reader>disable) no reading is taking place.

Also take in consideration the order of the readers, the reader with the most features should be on top, to maximaze performance.

Btw why not have just one reader (set on dynamic) and select the input on run time?
Badge +3
HI,

This is a strange thing in fme.

If u disable reader on the canvas, it will only disable it for the proces but still read the data.

To prevent it reading "disabled" data, you must disable it in the Navigatorpane (usualy to the left).

Gio
Badge
I will lookinto the dynamic feature but have to say that the reader is disabled in the navigator but still being read.  Do you think this is a bug?  See navigator image and log snipit below.

2014-04-10 13:22:21|2297.1|  0.0|INFORM|Opened Shape File C:\\.......\\36243171_ANT.shp for input

2014-04-10 13:22:21|2297.1|  0.0|INFORM|Opened DBF File 'C:\\.........\\36243171_ANT.dbf' for input

2014-04-10 13:22:21|2297.1|  0.0|INFORM|DBF File 'C:\\.......\\36243171_ANT.dbf' has fields: OBJECTID number(9,0), ANNOCLS_C number(9,0), NAMESTR1 char(192), NAMESTR2 char(192)
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Are there actually features exiting the reader? if so thn it could be a bug.
Badge +3
Hi,

yes i seen this happen often.

The workspace is then a bit corrupted.

Best then to remove the offending reader, save and then re-insert it.

Gio