Question

Why does the FME ESRI Reprojector fail due to invalid source and destination coordinate systems?

Badge +3
  • Participant
  • 10 replies

I have ArcGIS 10.3.1 (32bit) running on the same machine as FME ESRI Edition 2017 (32 bit). I am trying to convert a TIF to ECW using the ESRIReprojector and the RasterbandInterpretationcoercer (to Uint8) but have the following error:

Reprojector: Invalid source and destination coordinate systems ECW writer: An error has occurred: Error 48 "Could not perform Read/Write on file" file "" line 0

If I don´t use the ESRIReprojector, the transformation will work, but my coordinate system is named NUTM32 which causes problems in ArcGIS.

Why do I have a problem with the ESRIReprojector?

Logfile is beneath:

Starting translation... FME 2017.0.0.0 RC (20170207 - Build 17245 - WIN32) FME_HOME is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\' FME ESRI Edition (node locked-crc) Serial Number: UDT9-PWQY-11BH Permanent License. Machine host name is: PC01408Neu START - ProcessID: 38812, peak process memory usage: 33196 kB, current process memory usage: 33076 kB FME Configuration: Command line arguments are 

C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\fme.exe'
T:/Bplaene/2015/FME\wb-xlate-1503558807165_39376' 
LOG_STANDARDOUT'
YES' 
LogCountServerName'
{a7f7bd1f-6eb7-4fc9-9ecb-c32d76a881cd}' Shared folders for formats are : C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\datasources;C:\Users\f01408\Documents\FME\Formats Shared folders for transformers are : C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\transformers;C:\Users\f01408\Documents\FME\Transformers;C:\Users\f01408\AppData\Roaming\Safe Software\FME\FME Store\Transformers Shared folders for coordinate systems are : C:\Users\f01408\Documents\FME\CoordinateSystems Shared folders for coordinate system exceptions are : C:\Users\f01408\Documents\FME\CoordinateSystemExceptions Shared folders for coordinate system grid overrides are : C:\Users\f01408\Documents\FME\CoordinateSystemGridOverrides Shared folders for CS-MAP transformation exceptions are : C:\Users\f01408\Documents\FME\CsmapTransformationExceptions Shared folders for transformer categories are : C:\Users\f01408\Documents\FME\TransformerCategories FME Configuration: Reader Keyword is 
TIFF_1'
FME Configuration: Writer Keyword is
MULTI_WRITER' FME Configuration: Writer Group Definition Keyword is 
MULTI_WRITER_DEF'
FME Configuration: Reader type is
TIFF' FME Configuration: Writer type is 
MULTI_WRITER'
FME Configuration: No destination coordinate system set
FME Configuration: Current working folder is
T:\Bplaene\2015\FME' FME Configuration: Temporary folder is 
C:\Users\f01408\AppData\Local\Temp', set from environment variable
TEMP' FME Configuration: FME_HOME is 
C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\'
FME Configuration: FME_BASE is 'no'
FME Configuration: FME_MF_DIR is 'T:\Bplaene\2015\FME/'
FME Configuration: FME_MF_NAME is 'RasterToECW.fmw'
FME Configuration: FME_PRODUCT_NAME is 'FME(R) 2017.0.0.0'
System Status: 157.04 GB of disk space available in the FME temporary folder (C:\Users\f01408\AppData\Local\Temp)
System Status: 4.00 GB of virtual memory available
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
FME Platform: WIN32
Locale: de_DE
Code Page: 1252  (ANSI - Lateinisch I)
FME Configuration: Process limits are 15.92 GB of physical memory and 4.00 GB of address space
FME Configuration: Start freeing memory when process usage exceeds 2.83 GB of memory or 3.41 GB of address space
FME Configuration: Stop freeing memory when process usage is below 2.12 GB of memory and 2.56 GB of address space
Creating writer for format: 
Creating reader for format: TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named
TIFF' Loaded module 'TIFF' from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\plugins/GDAL.dll' FME API version of module 'TIFF' matches current internal version (3.8 20161222) TIFF reader: Opening file 'T:\Bplaene\2015\Raster\Ausgeschnitten\Munster\BP_2494_002.tif' Using MultiWriter with keyword 
MULTI_WRITER' to output data (ID_ATTRIBUTE is
multi_writer_id') Writer output will be ordered by value of multi_writer_id Loaded module 'LogCount_func' from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\plugins/LogCount_func.dll' FME API version of module 'LogCount_func' matches current internal version (3.8 20161222) Creating writer for format: FME Feature Store (FFS) FME Configuration: No destination coordinate system set FME Configuration: Using FME Reprojection Engine Loaded module 'ReinterpretRaster_func' from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FME\plugins/ReinterpretRaster_func.dll' FME API version of module 'ReinterpretRaster_func' matches current internal version (3.8 20161222) Predefined coordinate system `DHDN.Gauss3d-3' (DHDN / 3-degree Gauss zone 3) matches dataset coordinate system The OGC definition of the FME coordinate system 'DHDN.Gauss3d-3' is 'PROJCS["DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3",GEOGCS["GCS_Deutsches_Hauptdreiecksnetz",DATUM["Deutsches_Hauptdreiecksnetz",SPHEROID["Bessel_1841",6377397.155,299.1528128,AUTHORITY["EPSG","7004"]],AUTHORITY["EPSG","6314"]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",9],PARAMETER["scale_factor",1],PARAMETER["false_easting",3500000],PARAMETER["false_northing",0],UNIT["metre",1,AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]]]' Successfully read world file 'T:\Bplaene\2015\Raster\Ausgeschnitten\Munster\BP_2494_002.tfw

17 replies

Badge +6
Hello @r7

Would you mind attaching your log file, please? I am having troubles distinguishing the different parts with it pasted into the window. If you also wouldn't mind attaching the workspace you are using along with the log it would be greatly appreciated.
Badge

will do on monday

Badge +3

Here is the project with log file and screenshots. The second zip contains the TIFF

esrireprojector.zip

tiff.zip

Hi, I think the solution is pretty simple, from the LOG:

ECW writer: Failed to write dataset 'I:\\FME_ESRIREPROJEKTOR\\BP_3713_013_1Ae.ecw'. This may occur if you have insufficient privileges to write this file, or if insufficient disk space is available

Try to write to some other directory, get permissions to write here, and/or control if there is space to write to the disk.

Here is the project with log file and screenshots. The second zip contains the TIFF

esrireprojector.zip

tiff.zip

ECW writer: Failed to write dataset 'I:\\FME_ESRIREPROJEKTOR\\BP_3713_013_1Ae.ecw'. This may occur if you have insufficient privileges to write this file, or if insufficient disk space is available

Try to write to some other directory, get permissions to write here, and/or control if there is space to write to the disk.

Badge +3

I have permission on every drive and Directory in my system and there are no drives that are more than 50% full. I will however try to save to a different location and see if that solves the problem.

Badge +3

...and strangely enough....I file is created, but without any data

Badge +3

What is with the following messages from the log?

2017-08-28 14:36:02| 2.5| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: Reprojector: Internal error; reprojection failed (esriengine.cpp:366)

2017-08-28 14:36:02| 2.5| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: Reprojector: Invalid source and destination coordinate systems (fmereprojector.cpp:567)

2017-08-28 14:36:02| 2.5| 0.0|ERROR |Reprojector: Invalid source and destination coordinate systems

2017-08-28 14:36:01| 2.4| 0.1|ERROR |BADNEWS: File C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FME\\metafile\\MULTI_WRITER.fmf could not be opened (tabrdr.cpp:161)

2017-08-28 14:36:01| 2.4| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: No MULTI_WRITER dataset name was specified (couldn't find a value for `MULTI_WRITER_DATASET') (writrimp.cpp:773)

2017-08-28 14:35:58| 0.7| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: String value `EsriReprojector: Ignoring input feature coordinate system `EPSG:31467'. This warning will not be repeated.' contains invalid characters and could not be converted into an integer (stfutil.cpp:738)

Badge +3

The ESRI Reprojector works fine for SHAPEFILES and for TIFF Writers. The problem must lie with ECW files.

What is with the following messages from the log?

2017-08-28 14:36:02| 2.5| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: Reprojector: Internal error; reprojection failed (esriengine.cpp:366)

2017-08-28 14:36:02| 2.5| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: Reprojector: Invalid source and destination coordinate systems (fmereprojector.cpp:567)

2017-08-28 14:36:02| 2.5| 0.0|ERROR |Reprojector: Invalid source and destination coordinate systems

2017-08-28 14:36:01| 2.4| 0.1|ERROR |BADNEWS: File C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FME\\metafile\\MULTI_WRITER.fmf could not be opened (tabrdr.cpp:161)

2017-08-28 14:36:01| 2.4| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: No MULTI_WRITER dataset name was specified (couldn't find a value for `MULTI_WRITER_DATASET') (writrimp.cpp:773)

2017-08-28 14:35:58| 0.7| 0.0|ERROR |BADNEWS: String value `EsriReprojector: Ignoring input feature coordinate system `EPSG:31467'. This warning will not be repeated.' contains invalid characters and could not be converted into an integer (stfutil.cpp:738)

I really dont know about these error-messages. Did You try to undertake the transformation with the Reprojector-transformer (replacing the ESRIReprojector)? On my machine I have 64-bit ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro and 64-bit FME and everything works as a charm and my only editing of the original workspace is to change input and output file locations.

Attached my result with the ESRI Reprojector

bp-3713-013-1ae-first-trial.zip

Badge

Ill try a complete reinstall. I had two versions of fme at one stage. maybe this caused some issues.

Badge +6

esrireprojector.zip

tiff.zip

Hello @r7

Nothing stands out to me when looking at the log file, but I have passed the information on to development. I will update this posting when I hear back from them.
Badge +6

Hello @r7,

A developer tested this using FME 2017.1 Build 17630 along with ArcGIS Server 10.5.1, and it worked correctly.

It is possible that another machine with a higher version of ArcGIS(which contained both coordinate systems) created the EsriReprojector.

Are you able to confirm that the EsriReprojector in your workspace does contain the coordinate system you want? This can be done by clicking on the source coordinate system selection and look for the coordinate system you want wants (e.g. DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3). If it's not in the selection, your ArcGIS is too old.

Hello @r7,

A developer tested this using FME 2017.1 Build 17630 along with ArcGIS Server 10.5.1, and it worked correctly.

It is possible that another machine with a higher version of ArcGIS(which contained both coordinate systems) created the EsriReprojector.

Are you able to confirm that the EsriReprojector in your workspace does contain the coordinate system you want? This can be done by clicking on the source coordinate system selection and look for the coordinate system you want wants (e.g. DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3). If it's not in the selection, your ArcGIS is too old.

You could troubleshoot in the following way:

1. Test just "Read Tiff" and "Write ECW" without any Transformers

2. Replace ESRIReprojector with Reprojector, produces the same result in my case and will isolate if ESRIReprojector is the problem

pH

Hello @r7,

A developer tested this using FME 2017.1 Build 17630 along with ArcGIS Server 10.5.1, and it worked correctly.

It is possible that another machine with a higher version of ArcGIS(which contained both coordinate systems) created the EsriReprojector. 

Are you able to confirm that the EsriReprojector in your workspace does contain the coordinate system you want? This can be done by clicking on the source coordinate system selection and look for the coordinate system you want wants (e.g. DHDN_3_Degree_Gauss_Zone_3). If it's not in the selection, your ArcGIS is too old.

In ArcGIS Desktop10.2 I can find:

DHDN_3_Degree_GK_Zone_3_E-N
WKID: 5677 Authority: EPSG

Projection: Gauss_Kruger
False_Easting: 3500000,0
False_Northing: 0,0
Central_Meridian: 9,0
Scale_Factor: 1,0
Latitude_Of_Origin: 0,0
Linear Unit: Meter (1,0)

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_Deutsches_Hauptdreiecksnetz
Angular Unit: Degree (0,0174532925199433)
Prime Meridian: Greenwich (0,0)
Datum: D_Deutsches_Hauptdreiecksnetz
  Spheroid: Bessel_1841
    Semimajor Axis: 6377397,155
    Semiminor Axis: 6356078,962818189
    Inverse Flattening: 299,15281

Badge

Hello @r7,

I can confirm that the transformer works when I use the normal reprojector or the csMapReprojector. The Problem lies with the fact that I need to use ESRI recognised Projections so that ArcGIS Works with my data.

I can confirm that the transformer works when I use the normal reprojector or the csMapReprojector. The Problem lies with the fact that I need to use ESRI recognised Projections so that ArcGIS Works with my data.
Its "just" a matter of writing the referencesystem info to the fileheader, I dont think you will find any difference between ESRIReprojector and Reprojector result in ArcMap. This is wel known Gauss-Krüger projections and not at extreme easting-values (I have seen some troubles in the past on very large or very small eastings in UTM projections, like using UTM33 when the natural choise is UTM36).