Question

FME Presentation Suggestion

• 18 September 2019
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi FME'ers

I've got a speaking slot at an upcoming GIS conference. I do have a number of ideas of what to present, but thought I'd throw it out for suggestions. It's a 20-minute slot and not everyone will be existing FME'ers. It's tagged as a "workshop" slot, but I think it's fairly flexible.

I was thinking maybe presenting around an existing blog post:

Or I could do a basic Intro to FME workshop, or something with our Data Express app and Server.

So, does anyone here have a preference or any other suggestion? I'd like to know what you might want to hear about, or what you would consider presenting in my position; but it has to be something to attract non-FME people if possible.

Please feel free to discuss and let me what you think below.

Thanks

Mark

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

For a GIS conference, I would pick the Football Stadiums example.

Easy accessible data and good overview of FME capabilities.

Userlevel 4

My impression is that NLP (and AI/ML in general) is one of those topics where people are either super engaged, or they don't really care much because they don't see any benefit to their daily life. I'd inquire a bit before investing much time on it.

Automations are a fantastic topic, personally I'd love to see a presentation with some more advanced scenarios (e.g. JSON handover between steps, handling shared parameters, etc). When you demo automations, many FME users will have a tendency to think of it as a mini workspace, so perhaps also take some time to explain what type of scenarios the automations will currently not handle (e.g. output from workspaces). On the other hand this is a topic where you risk losing your non-FME audience.

For existing FME users I've had good luck going through some more exotic or ingenious / crazy workspaces, even though the scenario itself isn't so interesting, it may contain components or logic that is very applicable to other stuff. I'm thinking this is probably one of the reasons why the presentations by @dmitribagh are so popular :-) So yeah, football stadiums sounds like a great idea.

Database updates are also one of those FAQ topics, as this forum often demonstrates, so I'm sure that's going to get a lot of interest.

Otherwise I'd look into if there are any local formats or coordinate systems in that region that could use some extra attention. That's the case here in Switzerland, and it's always a very welcome topic because it touches on so many user's daily work.

Badge +16

Hi @mark2atsafe,

I would combine the football stadiums example and FME Server automations, that way you show a bit of FME Desktop and Server and give a complete picture of the FME Platform.

Cheers,

Itay

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

+1 for the Football Stadiums example. Maybe you can create a small demo project on FME Server where people enter the name of their favourite team and then get a nice HTML report with all those nice stats. I did a really simple demo a while ago at the end of a training course (get address coordinates through an API and then use that point to query a WFS service with flood zones and create a report showing whether or not that address is in danger of flooding) and it wowed the audience. Took me about 15-20 minutes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

How brave are you? If it's a workshop style talk, can you choose something where you could build a workspace from start to finish in that time? Sometimes getting from A to B might not seem that impressive but showing how quickly you can create a process that transforms data from A to B is the real beauty of FME, tag on how you can then automate repeating that process many times.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thank you everyone. This has been great feedback. I agree that the football stadiums example is a good (and unusual) example that will be an interesting introduction to FME. And yes, I think I can do part of it as a live demonstration and publish it to Server to demonstrate automation and enterprise capabilities. The new workspace sharing (Server apps) option makes that really simple.

I expect the presentation will be recorded so I'll share that with you so you can see how it goes and that I took your suggestions to heart.

Thanks again. An upvote and bonus points to everyone who answered!