Question

Expose Transformer Name as attribute value

• 29 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

Is there a way of exposing the transformer name as an attribute value? I'm trying to create a generic Emailer in which all the transformer "rejected" ports feed into, allowing easy identification as to where the error occurred in the workspace.

Currently I'm creating a separate Emailer and writing the transformer name in by hand for each point of failure. I'm running FME Desktop 2019.2 :)

Thanks

Alex

3 replies

Badge +22

Why not have an attributeCreator after each point of failure containing an attribute with the custom error message. As long as all of them use the same attribute name (ex _errorMessage) they can all link to the same generic Emailer.

Why not have an attributeCreator after each point of failure containing an attribute with the custom error message. As long as all of them use the same attribute name (ex _errorMessage) they can all link to the same generic Emailer.

Hi @jdh, thanks for the reply.

I'm looking for a way of not having to create many attributeCreators/Emailers after each point of failure and instead was I wondering if there are any hidden fme attributes to expose at a transformer level, similar to how you can expose fme_basename etc from readers.

If possible, I could then expose this attribute as you say, output all the points of failure to one generic Emailer and use the attribute value in the email body. Just looking to reduce the clutter of having many attributeCreators/Emailers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I love this idea - you should create an idea on it. I know that *most* rejected features typically have a Rejected Reason attribute, however, I don't think it includes the transformer name. This would also be a helpful thing to include in ERROR log messages as well as it's not always clear where an ERROR has occurred either, figuring that out comes with experience.