Solved

FME Server REST API : get automation tasks/items

• 14 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +11

Is it possible to retrieve automation tasks/items using the FME Server REST API? Specifically, I’m trying to find all workspaces that are run by automations and I’d also need to determine the published parameters passed to each workspace.

The Schedules and Notifications (Subscriptions) REST API methods allow all “items” to be retrieved, which provides access to the workspace details but this does not seem to be exposed in the REST API for Automations…

I’m using FME Server 2019.2.2 Build 19817 - win64.

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 14 April 2020, 22:21

View original

7 replies

Badge +2

Hi @nic_ran,

The FME Server Rest API endpoint for returning information about the components within a single Automation is unpublished, meaning it is subject to change without warning in new builds of FME Server so is not recommended for use.

I don't think this is something that we have seen requested before so please consider creating an Idea to request this endpoint is exposed with your detailed use case.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi @nic_ran,

The FME Server Rest API endpoint for returning information about the components within a single Automation is unpublished, meaning it is subject to change without warning in new builds of FME Server so is not recommended for use.

I don't think this is something that we have seen requested before so please consider creating an Idea to request this endpoint is exposed with your detailed use case.

Hi, there is the general request to have lots more of the api documented. https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/75119/more-fmerest-api-calls-documented.html

Cheers,

Todd

Badge +11

Hi @nic_ran,

Thanks Todd, I've up-voted that idea.

Badge +11

Hi @nic_ran,

Thanks Holly. I agree with Todd that it would be great to have more of this documented. I notice on the API reference page that there's a checkbox to "hide advanced calls". Perhaps there could be a similar checkbox to "show unsupported calls" or something along those lines, along with appropriate disclaimers for each call that is liable to change?

The reason that I would like to access the Automation components is that I'm trying to build a workspace to document current state of an FME Server environment. We're in the process of building a mirror PROD environment and I need to determine all workspace endpoints that will need to be updated for the new environment. (e.g. source/target datasets configured via published parameter in an Automation component, etc.)

As this is (hopefully) a one-time effort for me, it would be great if you could share the API calls that I will need. The workspace I'm building is not something that will continue to run after the migration is complete, so there's not much chance that an API call change in a future release of FME will impact it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Thanks Holly. I agree with Todd that it would be great to have more of this documented. I notice on the API reference page that there's a checkbox to "hide advanced calls". Perhaps there could be a similar checkbox to "show unsupported calls" or something along those lines, along with appropriate disclaimers for each call that is liable to change?

The reason that I would like to access the Automation components is that I'm trying to build a workspace to document current state of an FME Server environment. We're in the process of building a mirror PROD environment and I need to determine all workspace endpoints that will need to be updated for the new environment. (e.g. source/target datasets configured via published parameter in an Automation component, etc.)

As this is (hopefully) a one-time effort for me, it would be great if you could share the API calls that I will need. The workspace I'm building is not something that will continue to run after the migration is complete, so there's not much chance that an API call change in a future release of FME will impact it.

How far are you along with this Nic? Because I have been building this capability on the side for a year and a bit, but have not started the automation side. Send me an email at and I can show you some of the things I have.

Badge +11

How far are you along with this Nic? Because I have been building this capability on the side for a year and a bit, but have not started the automation side. Send me an email at and I can show you some of the things I have.

Thanks @todd_davis, email sent.

Badge +11

Hi @nic_ran,

FYI, I added an "Idea": https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/111914/publish-fme-server-rest-api-endpoints-for-retrieva.html?