Question

help with building multi-part geometry features

Badge +1

Hi

I'm working with some street/road data - lines, and want to use the LengthToPoint calculator, but it does not accept aggregates as input. To get around this I've used a Line Joiner to combine the aggregates first, but this only joins connected parts of my aggregate and discards the rest. Any ideas on how to work around this?

Below is a description of the logic/process/reasoning,..

Segments are the buildings blocks (these have geometry), and Streets are comprised of segments. Many streets can exist for a segment. See image below.

I want to assign some Street-level attributes to the segment lines. The attributes do not have geometry but are related to the geometry through a lookup table, and the attributes contain start/end coordinates that specify which part of the Street the attributes should be assigned to - indicated roughly by 'x' on the image above.

I've built the Street level geometry by feature merging the lookup table onto the Segment geometry, and then Aggregating or Line Joining on the Street ID - see question above.

I then use the LengthToPointCalculator with the start/end coordinates of the Street-level information, followed by the Snipper to snip the Steet geometry to the extents of the street-level information.

Following that use a SpatialRelator to identify the Segments that relate to the snipped Street geometry, and manipulate lists to get all the Street-level information stored on the Segment geometry.

So in the above image, Street A works are expected in the above process, but Street B doesn't. The output of the Line Joiner is just one part of the Street geometry. Using the Aggregator builds the street geometry correctly for Street A and B, but then I cannot use the LengthToPoint calculator. Ideas on a workaround, or alternate approach?

Thanks

Mary

2 replies

Badge +7

@1spatialmary: The image you mention did not come through. It might clear things up a little. Could you try to edit your message and attach the image?

Badge +8

hi @1spatialmary, I would love to see the image too !