Question

How to create shp with proper coordinates from a dwg without proper cooordinates

Hi I have been given a exact map of road system in dwg in metric scale but without proper coordinates (none know coordinate system- they just put 0,0 in the left down corner of the map). I have reference map (axis of the roads) in desired metric system. I tried offseter, scaller, affine wrapper and other tools but I failed to reach acceptable accuracy. Is there any tools in FME in which I would create a list of a reference points (e.g. 30 cross roads) and on the base of the distanced between these points on both maps (reference and unknown) the data of the elements with unknown system would be transformed to expected coordinate system. I did such tries in qgis with pdf files.

2 replies

Badge +22

If both maps are in the same projection, I would expect the AfineWarper to give good results, if the projection of the dwg is unknown and does not match your reference data, then I would try using the RubberSheeter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

If your map is truly accurate in all directions an Offsetter should be enough (get the real-world coordinates of that 0,0 point and use those for the Offsetter x and y coordinates). If that doesn't work the RubberSheeter can perhaps help out. It allows you to set up control vectors. Without having a look at the data I'd say the approach would be to use the Offsetter to get a reasonably close match and then use the RubberSheeter to refine that.