Question

Are you currently using the FME Server JavaScript API?

• 25 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +11

Hello to all the members of the FME Community!

We would like to know if you have any applications or workflows that are currently using the FME Server JavaScript API.

It is no secret that we have not prioritized enhancements or upgrades to the library, and, if at some future date we decide to deprecate support of the FME Server JavaScript API, we want to make sure that we have provided alternatives to keep your apps and workflows running when you upgrade.

What are you using the FME Server JavaScript API for that you cannot do with the FME Server REST API?

We have started development on V4 of the FME Server REST API, and this would be a great opportunity to add new capabilities so that there is a smooth transition path available.

What impact would the deprecation of the FME Server JavaScript API have for you and your organization?

If there are any questions or concerns, we can start thinking about them now. 

Note: Please keep in mind that we do not have a target date to deprecate the FME Server JavaScript API, nor have we come to any decision yet. If we decide to move forward, you should expect plenty of advance notification. We are currently in an investigation-only phase.

Please add comment or contact Support.

6 replies

Badge +5

As long as the FME Server Playground still has examples on how to do everything using the API I would have no issue upgrading our clients. Particularly examples on how have the file drag and drop functionality, that is mainly where I start off using the JavaScript API.

Userlevel 4

I am trying to use a "Where" clause for the reader but it does not identify the field in the existing geodatabase. 

I have a Esri Geodatabase connection named vg_esri and I wanted to select a table named vg_esri.sde.mm_poly_gh and select a polygon wíth its id polygon_id = 852364, I have used 

SELECT polygon_id FROM vg_esri.sde.mm_poly_gh WHERE polygon_id = '852364';
Could not find the features in the table 'sde.mm_poly_gh'. One possible reason is that a WHERE clause was specified that references a column/field that does not exist in the table. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216081'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Invalid SQL syntax [ERROR:  syntax error at or near ";"
LINE 1: ...FROM dg_esri.sde.mm_poly_gh WHERE polygon_id = '852364';)

But I get this above error, What am I doing wrong, I cannot figure it out. Any input will be very help. Thank you...

Badge +2

We run an internal javascript application that lets us monitor jobs, queue and progress - I use it daily to keep an eye on how things are going... !

Badge +16

Curious if the decision has been made to continue updating the Javascript API as I know v4 of the FME Server REST API is under development. I find it really useful to use.

Badge +11

Curious if the decision has been made to continue updating the Javascript API as I know v4 of the FME Server REST API is under development. I find it really useful to use.

@Chris Warren​  We are not planning to continue maintaining the JavaScript API, but have not yet made a formal announcement with more information. When available, it will be shared in the FME Community.

Badge +16

@Chris Warren​  We are not planning to continue maintaining the JavaScript API, but have not yet made a formal announcement with more information. When available, it will be shared in the FME Community.

Thanks for the info. Maybe this could be a project for the FME community to maintain and develop. Having the JavaScript API does make it easier to work with the REST services, but it is by no means essential to have. This could be an opportunity to build different API-wrappers around the FME Server REST API for multiple programming languages.