Question

GEOTIFF Reprojection

• 9 February 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I am fairly new to FME, especially using FME for spatial work. Most of my experience with FME has been with data (JSON, CSV, XML, etc).

I have 2 GEOTIFF files both with the Coordinate System of NonEarth Meter. I would like to reproject the coordinates to Calgary_3TM_WGS_1984_W114, which is the coordinate system of a Shape file.

Then, with the 2 GEOTIFF files and the 1 Shape file, I intend to make separate KMZ files to allow layering onto a base map.

Any assistance/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my files are too large to attach but I am willing to have open dialog via email.

2 replies

Badge +16

If I remember correctly kml is always WGS84 so FME will take care of the reprojection for you.

There are a couple of kml specific transformer you should have a look at and the knowledge base is a good place to start on all thing FME.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Yes, any KML/KMZ dataset can only have LL-WGS84 coordinate system according to the format specifications and the FME KML writer performs reprojection automatically if the feature has a known geographic coordinate system.

The features from the Shapefile dataset can be reprojected automatically by the KML writer, since they have a known geographic coordinate system - Calgary_3TM_WGS_1984_W114.

However, the NonEarth Meter for the rasters indicates a local (non-geographic) coordinate system. You therefore need to set an appropriate geographic coordinate system to the raster datasets. Geometric correction could also be required.

To find a solution, first of all, you will have to clarify the definition of the local coordinate system anyway.