Question

Port for FMEServerConsole not automatically applied during installation

Badge

Hi,

during my last Installation of the current Version of FMEServer (Build 17291) to port 8080, I realized that the port won't be applied to the FMEServerConsole!

So, trying to use the console I got a 404-message from the IIS . Took me a while to find the bad guy in: ~FMEServer/Clients/FMEServerConsoleConfig.txt where the hostname was still without the proper port.

So correcting that to Hostname:8080 and restarting the FMEServer, solved the problem.

In previous versions, this was set automatically during the installatoin. I guess this time it slipped somehow from the radar.

Best regards,

Thomas

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello Thomas,

I've checked into this and the documentation says:

Switching from a Direct Connection to a Web Connection

By default, the Server Console will connect to FME Server using a direct
connection. To switch to a web connection:

- Open the configuration file in a text editor.

- Change the 

fmeServerHost
 parameter to specify the FME Server web host URL and
web port. 

As I read it, by default the console connects via a direct connection that doesn't need the port set. You only need to set the port if you're using a web connection. So it shouldn't be an issue that the port number wasn't set (it was an issue for you, but only because you weren't connecting that way).

If this doesn't clarify the situation, let me know and I will ask one of our developers for an opinion.

Regards

Mark

Badge

Hi Mark,

thank you for answering!

This FMEServer uses a lot .bat-files, started from a scheduler and using the console. The expressions are like:

call C:\apps\FMEServer\Clients\FMEServerConsole\fmeserverconsole.exe run_workspace REPOSITORY/Workspace.fmw

And exactly this expressions replied with a 404-html-message, coming from the IIS.

I know, this is not the state of the art, but this is how the customer has implemented it and using for years. Furthermore this expression is only one part in the processing chain, defined in the .bat-files. There are many expressions before and after calling the console, not necessary regarding to FMEServer.

We updated the FMEServer every year and I never took care about this before, because it usually worked. This time was the first time I encounter this problem.

So, I'm not really sure why this was the case this time and not in the previous FMEServer-versions. Maybe something has changed, but setting the port in the config-file definitively solved the problem, and now everything works fine.

Kind regards,

Thomas