Question

Is it possible to control where the Server App download service will download files?

• 29 April 2020
  • 2 replies

I'm setting up a server app that will allow users to download a CAD file (the app will run a process that converts GIS data to CAD and will produce a .dwg). I'd like to be able to have the download go to the users Windows default downloads folder, or have the user specify where they want the file to go and what they want to name the file. Surprisingly I haven't been able to find much help that is applicable to what I'm looking to do.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

You'll need to use either the Data Download service or maybe the Data Streaming service. Either of those will return the data to the end user. In the case of Data Download they will get a link to a zip file of the data. In the case of Data Streaming, it will just return the file directly.

However, what happens to that download or file totally depends on the users' web browser. They might have their web browser set up to download automatically, or to a specific location, or to prompt for a location.

eg on my Firefox browser, under Tools > Options > General, I have a setting that controls where to download files by default, and whether to ask to override that with a custom location. I don't think FME has any control over that aspect of the process.

You'll need to use either the Data Download service or maybe the Data Streaming service. Either of those will return the data to the end user. In the case of Data Download they will get a link to a zip file of the data. In the case of Data Streaming, it will just return the file directly.

However, what happens to that download or file totally depends on the users' web browser. They might have their web browser set up to download automatically, or to a specific location, or to prompt for a location.

eg on my Firefox browser, under Tools > Options > General, I have a setting that controls where to download files by default, and whether to ask to override that with a custom location. I don't think FME has any control over that aspect of the process.

Thank you @mark2atsafe. I will try the Data Streaming service to see how that works. I am using the Data Download service currently and thought that maybe using a published parameter would allow the user to select where they want to save the file and what they want to call it; but I'm unable to make that work.