Question

Dynamic Segmentation

Badge
Anybody do a successfull Dynamic Segmentation?

I have a road network with attributes

Street_Name: Jon Street

Street_From: 39st

Street_To: 50st

Street_Start: 0

Length: 150m

I have a Table with Attributes associated with the road segment

LRS_Street:From

LRS_Street_To

LRS_Street_Start: 92

LRS_Length: 58

LRS_?SpeedLimit:30

In this example Jon street should be "split" up into multiple segments because their is different speed limits for various length of the road. This segment the speed limts starts at the value 92, making the first 92m of the road a 50km/hr zone, whereas the remaining 58m at 30km/hr.

I have been trying the SNIPPER tool to segment the geometry based on this LRS_Length but FME has not been outputting multiple segments of road?

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I think that the Snipper can do that. For example, if you apply the transformer with the following setting, the first 92m segment will be output from the Output port and the remaining segment will be output from the Remnants port.

-----

Snipping Mode: Distance (Value)

Starting Location: 0

Ending Location: 92

Takashi
Badge
When it comes to LRS, I'm a big fan of using custom transformers. In the example below It follows @Takashi's approach but scales it a bit more to incorporate the whole table. 

By setting the Snipping Mode to "Distance (Value) and the end location as the LRS_SPEED you essentially can walk down the line creating segments as needed. Output the snipped "Output" of the custom transformer and loop the Remnants back to the Input. This way the next section in the table gets clipped.

Obviously you would need a few more smarts (ie some Test Filters) in case there is no more to snip for that line but this is the way I would start "skinning the cat."

- Matthew Brucker
Badge +3
this has been solved many times in this forum. in different, but bsicaly just variations, ways.

Search for  iterative snipping.
Badge
Takashi,

I have not had any results from SNIPPER using your inputs? so I tried the inputs below and no luck. It somewhat creates the lines but they are overlapping/duplicated with two speed limts....

I'm not sure if it is because there is no unique id between the table and the road network.  They both have Street_from and street_to but the unique aspect is one segement starts at 0 with a length of 92 and the second segment starts at 92 and has a length of 58.

Snipping Mode: Distance (Value)

Starting Location: LRS_Start

Ending Location: LRS_Length

Badge +3

Relate the ?SpeedLimittable based on those attributes ( Street_From and Street_To)

You then either  clone the streets based on the number of segments they have, or use a index based on segments and Streetname to create a iterative snipper. ( as street whit four from-to's needs to be iterated 4 times, or you need the road 4x to get 4 snippers;  2 ways to do it)

Search this forum for examples, this question has been answered a couple of times already.