Question

Convert STEP-files (.stp) using FME?

Badge +3

Anyone who knows a way to convert STEP-files (.stp) using FME? I cannot find a reader for this format, closest one is IFC I guess. The format is ASCII-based so maybe there is some workaround using other readers/transformers?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hello @atle_hoidalen,

I have never to work with this format ( stp ), but I did search on the Web and I saw that this file is open in Catia Software. Is that right?

There is a Idea here in Knowledge Base to read in future. You can vote in this link below:

Catia Reader and Writer

I hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge +3

Hello @atle_hoidalen,

I have never to work with this format ( stp ), but I did search on the Web and I saw that this file is open in Catia Software. Is that right?

There is a Idea here in Knowledge Base to read in future. You can vote in this link below:

Catia Reader and Writer

I hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi!

Yes, you are probably correct. But it is also used as an exchange format for 3D-models between many softwares. I will vote up the suggestion for implementing a Catia reader in FME. :)

+1 for this. Not specifically CATIA, but most parasolid engineering products. Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, ProEngineer, Autodeks Fusion etc. I am interested in this for the reason of impending model-based definition workflows in the AEC context. (FILE_SCHEMA (('AP242_MANAGED_MODEL_BASED_3D_ENGINEERING_MIM_LF { 1 0 10303 442 1 1 4 }'));

ENDSEC;).. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/global/en/products/mechanical-design/model-based.html just imagine that!